PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in Tennessee?

heyski
08-27-2007, 07:42 PM
In late September my father is coming into town (Nashville) for a week of fly fishing with me. Last year we hit the Caney since it is so close to the house. This year we are going into east TN and will more than likely camp for a couple of days. We may fish a river in the morning and then drive to a new river that afternoon and set up camp for the next day of fishing. I have a feeling that he wants to fish more freestone streams than tailwaters. I have never fished east TN before. If you had 4 or 5 days to kill and you wanted to fish several places in east TN, where would you go?

David Knapp
08-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd probably make two separate plans, one involving the freestone streams and one centered on the tailwaters. I'll bet that we'll get some decent rain between now and then and the freestoners will be okay but if not, then I'd have a good backup plan. You can't go wrong with the South Holston and Watauga. Actually, if he likes fishing freestone streams then the Watauga is a good option because it both feels and fishes a lot like a freestone. Also, I can't say enough good things about the South Holston, that river is amazing. If I had 4-5 days, I would spend 'em all on those two rivers...

Otherwise, if we get rain to raise water levels, that time of year is usually very good in the park. I'd set up basecamp at Elkmont and fish Little River, Greenbriar, maybe Abrams, and probably even drive over to the NC side for a day or two and hit some streams over there.

I envy you have a week to fish at that time of year...I'll be stuck in school. Late September into early October is probably my favorite time to fish at least in the Smokies...

ttas67
08-28-2007, 12:55 AM
I couldn't have stated it better myself, very sound advice from plateau angler.

Stonefly
08-28-2007, 06:06 PM
David -

Sounds funny to hear you say you envy a week to fish in the fall, considering the trip you just returned from.

sb

David Knapp
08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Steve, being in school makes it hard to find time to fish in the fall. It is my favorite time of year to be on the water and many of my favorite fishing trip memories are from fall trips both here in TN and out west... Every fall break for the last several years has found me on the water somewhere, generally in the Smokies on LR. I just wish fall break was longer... Of course, if I had the opportunity to trade a fall break for another 3 week trip, I'd probably take the 3 week trip...:biggrin:

ijsouth
08-28-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm hoping to sneak in a fall trip in October...just a weekend, or maybe a long weekend. Just as it's hard for you to break away because of school, it's hard for me for the same reasons - my kids are kept so busy, it's difficult to have any spare time. I hated for them to have to go back to school almost as much as they did.

Of course, if the mountains don't get some water, I might not bother until Spring. As for recommended streams in the park, I have really fallen in love with Straight Fork...you have a very realistic chance at a slam, perhaps even in the same stretch. It has a little of everything - big pools, fair sized runs, riffles, pocket water, and plunge pools in places. Best of all, it seems to have a tributary system that keeps it supplied with ample amounts of cool water, even in this drought. The only downside is that it is a bit of a drive to get to...but for me, after driving 9 hours to get here, so what?

heyski
08-30-2007, 06:44 PM
What about the Tellico? Anyone got some thoughts on that river?