PDA

View Full Version : I need to catch some Smallmouth

LROjunky
08-28-2007, 04:44 PM
OK, so it is time to leave the trout alone to fight their own battles and I want to try my luck at fly fishing for Smallmouth Bass. The question is, if I can only pick one place within about a 45 minute drive from Maryville TN that is easily wadeable, where I should I go, and how do I get there?

Thanks

LROjunky
08-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Come on guys, can you at least send me in the correct direction?

rainBBow
08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
I can't help you with the info your looking for,but I look forward to at least three or four replies from the board and I will be happy to join you.

Hemingway
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't know much about smallmouth, but due to the current circumstances I have been trying to learn quickly. The best place that I have found for wading, which is probably not the best around, has been the holston. You can find gaps in the generation to get on at nance's ferry and clift rd. I caught 6 yesterday and my friend from bama who never fishes caught two. We were working both poppers and streamers around the swift current that goes by the weed beds. Lots of fun and a couple of pound and a half fish. I hope this helps.

Flying Trout
08-29-2007, 03:34 PM
I have a question about the Holston. Are there smallies as far down as where i-40 crosses over. That would be a fairly short drive and may have some wading possibilities if you know some land owners. Does anyone know? If you do I would be happy to take someone with me.

Kentucky Kid
08-29-2007, 09:06 PM
wait a while and give people time to reply dude. 12 hours isn't that long

LROjunky
09-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I am waiting.

Flying Trout
09-04-2007, 06:38 AM
You can also go to Sevierville and fish the river that runs to the French. I'm not sure where the access points are but have heard of some good fishing. That is within a 45 minute drive if you are not going on busy tourist days. I have driven through Seymour on Boyds Creek Road to get there.

Maurer
09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Little River between Townsend and Maryville

LROjunky
09-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Thank you for addressing my request so well. I will be sure to continue my patronage of LITTLE RIVER OUTFITTERS and the nearby Little River waters.

Nothing but the choicest regards to you Kris.

Kris Maurer<br />www.canoeflyguy.blogspot.com (http://www.canoeflyguy.blogspot.com/)
Manager at the Orvis-Sevierville, TN store.

Maurer
09-07-2007, 04:05 PM
LROJunky, I sincerly appoligize for the last post. I did not mean for that to sound the way it did. I was trying to make a funny. That is why I am not a writer.

We have great Smallmouth water right here locally and it is worth exploring. This spring I'd be more than happy to show you around the Sevierville area, which actually has a Trophy Slot limit on the waters that lead to the French Broad.

My favorite time to fish Smallies is in the spring when the water is just a bit off color and a little high. We dredge the deep runs with a high stick no indicator method.

Again, I'm sorry for that and hope there is no hard feelings.

rainBBow
09-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Thank you for modifying your post and following up with the explanation.
I had the pleasure of meeting you recently Kris ,and was rather shocked by your first response. I am still amazed by my inability to inject humor in a written E-Mail,a can understand an honest mistake.
I know that I sometimes get discouraged trying to find new places to fish ,and the fine line between asking questions on this board and affending folks by suggestions they give up some secret spot or secret info.
Thanks to LRO for this site were we can all be freinds without ever meeting, exchange info, and meet new fishing partners.
I to would also love to join you both for smallies this spring, or soonier.

appalachian angler
09-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Anywhere you can pull off old Walland Hwy that isn't posted on the Little in and around walland will hold Smallies. Wooley buggers in the moving water, or pitch some helgramite nymphs up into the fast broken water and high stick 'em down. In the slick deeper pools try some poppers and divers. Clousers will work well too, but may take a 6wt or better to throw efficiently. go early or late. Smallies get really spooky when the sun is high.

AA

Troutman
09-08-2007, 08:15 AM
LROjunky, There are several good books out and lots of free info on the web about smallmouth flyfishing and the habitat that they dwell in. Myself, when wanting to catch a new species will research it and spend time on the water looking and trying different techniques to catch them. If I wanted someone to tell me how and where to fish, then I would probably hire a guide. There are several really topnotch guides available for hire in the area.
There have been lots of good suggestions of places to fish for smallies now posted, including when you ask basically the same question back in July. Hope you will put all this info to good use on the stream now that your wait is over. Tight lines

LROjunky
09-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks - I will try the book thing, great idea!

Bran
09-10-2007, 07:43 AM
LRO Junky,
May I suggest "Flyfishing techniques for Smallmouth Bass" by Harry Murray? Also "Flyfishing for Smallmouth Bass" by the same. I, however, am the hard headed type who buys the book but after a few pages I'm out there going to the school of hard knocks and terrifying every fish in the river. Just don't tell my wife I admitted that. hahaha.

Troutman
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I haven't been on the water in a couple of weeks and need to hear some good reports. Anyone willing to share from this past weekend? No specifics, just a good tale please, and maybe a pict. or two to drool over!

Bran
09-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I wish I could be of service but the one time I got out this weekend I forgot my camera. I did catch a nice LMB, I was trying to get the Bream to bite in our pond Sunday afternoon and I was throwing different poppers and spiders etc without much luck. They were kinda halfhearted spitting at the offerings and so last resort I tried a winged ant. First catch was a Pumpkinseed, huge, I thought it was a bass at first. Second or third cast against the pads a Bass sucked it down, kinda gentle, thought it might be another miss and almost lost him. Anyhow 3 or 4 minutes later my 4 wt got him! About 2 pounds I would guess and healthy. Our ponds haven't flowed for 3 weeks now and are steadily dropping. This has just turned the fish off, they are pretty finicky.
My wife was in a car wreck Friday so it cinched most of my w/e plans. She is ok thank goodness, just real sore. I hope if she's feeling alright this evening to go slip in the river and catch one before dark. I've gotta go to a seminar in Raleigh Wed. and Thursday. Have a good one and tight lines!!!

Troutman
09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Bran, glad the wife is OK. I had tentative plans to fish Sat or Sun. afternoon but my wife and daughter got food poisioning from a subshop in Maryville on Sat., so I spent the weekend taking care of them and tying up a few more poppers and doing a little lawn casting!

Bran
09-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Sounds like you and I are having the same luck. Glad yours are ok too, most folks never realize how you're at the mercy of anyone you entrust to prepare food for you. My parents ended up in the hospital for 2 days last year after a bad chuckwagon sandwich. Hope you can get out soon. I feel too tired to go this afternoon but I know I'll be sorry if i don't.http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif<(({{|><

Flying Trout
09-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I went out in Little River today and water levels were low. When I first got there I saw 3 medium size smallies on the bank right after I spooked them trying to get a picture of the hummingbird I saw. That's what I get about being touchy feely. I was mainly out just scouting some areas. I was there maybe an hour today. I plan on going back up Tuesday after a meeting in Walland. I'm just trying to get familiar with a couple of places in the low water hoping it will pay off later. Plus the river during the week is a nice quite getaway. Sorry about not being able to post a great report. Hopefully tomorrow night.

Bran
09-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Well it finally happened. I knew if I kept pushing my luck with the river dropping I would draw a goose egg. Sure enough I went 0 for 2 yesterday. I had 2 Smallies hit but couldn't hook up, to add insult I got toted around by the mosquitos the last 45 minutes before dark. I'm still clawing this morning.
Last thing I tied on a little white popper after dark and threw it to the tree roots and grass, couldn't even interest a Bream. Oh well, nothing hurt but my pride but there will be other days hopefully.--Bran

LROjunky
09-16-2007, 02:48 PM
With everyones help I tried the Little River for Smallmouth action, and to give the Trout an opportunity to deal with the low water and high temps. 2 weekends back I fished in low and clear conditions and yesterday I fished with higher and dirty/stained water - both times NOTHING to report. Both days made for a perfect day to be out fishing with some friends none the less.

I tried everything I had in my box that should get the attention of waiting to ambush Smallie; Poppers, Sneaky Pete's, Terestrials and even Wolly Buggers and a few Streamers for good measure. What else could have been wrong - ME. Even though the habitat looked great; deep holes, runs, trees and rocks I had no luck.

Throwing my 4 wt Finesse is a little hard on an already sore elbow - should I overline this thing for throwing the Poppers etc?

Kris - maybe you can help me out a bit here.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Maurer
09-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't think overlining that rod will help you out any. I typicalling fish with a 6wt rod for smallies. LRO may still have some clearwaters on sale, however all of the company stores are completely sold out of them. They were priced down substationally. Personally I use a 9'6" 6wt TLS and it doubles as my smallie rod and drift boat nymph rod. The extra length lets me high stick a little easier.

Waterborn
09-18-2007, 12:04 PM
There's a few out there willing to take a fly...
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Waterbornjournal/nicepigeonsmallie15SEP07.jpg

Troutman
09-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Waterborn, I think I know who you've been fishin with! Nice Smallie!