PDA

View Full Version : Rod/Reel combo for my 9 yr old?

Trout Hunter
08-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Being quite the newbie myself, I could use a bit of help with this one. My son will be 10 soon. He's about 4 foot tall and 55 lbs soaking wet. Any suggestions, recommendations, special considerations, etc. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Norm

Rog 1
08-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I actually started my young son on a rod I built from the tip portion of an old fiberglass 9' flyrod....worked OK and actually caught fish....I think a shorter rod would be easier for him to learn on....LLBean sells a QuestII outfit that is a 6'6" rod with a reel and 3wt line for $69....not a bad way to start....might want to give this a look.

Trout Hunter
08-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the input Rog 1. I'll check it out.

Troutman
08-30-2007, 09:49 AM
LRO has the Cortland youth outfits with a 7.5ft 5wt rod, reel, line, flybox for $100. All he really needs to get out on a pond or small river to learn and you won't be to worried about breaking expensive equipment. LRO will probably get it all rigged and ready to fish also. Pick up a few Walt's poppers and some tippet and a leader and your ready to go.

Trout Hunter
08-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Duh....... Don't know how I missed that. If it had been a snake......

Thanks for posting,

Norm

buzzmcmanus
08-30-2007, 01:25 PM
LRO has the Cortland youth outfits with a 7.5ft 5wt rod, reel, line, flybox for $100. All he really needs to get out on a pond or small river to learn and you won't be to worried about breaking expensive equipment. LRO will probably get it all rigged and ready to fish also. Pick up a few Walt's poppers and some tippet and a leader and your ready to go.

I actually bought one of these for a nephew about 10 years ago and liked it enough that I never did give it to him. I still use it fishing some of the smaller smallie waters I get on.