PDA

View Full Version : Cow Standing Factor= 0%?

kpaluso
08-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Byron,

I have a philosophical point of contention with you over the Cow Standing Factor being 0% when there are no cows seen. When no cows are visable I believe that it would more correctly be characterized as "indeterminate".

When a tree falls in a forest with no one present, does it make a sound?

Please give this matter your most urgent attention. I believe we need to be philosophically and mathematically accurate.

Ken

Byron Begley
08-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Ken,

You are correct. Thank you for bringing this very important fact to my attention. I will make the necessary changes on tomorrow's report. How would you abreviate Indeterminate? I don't think there is room on the dashboard for the entire word but maybe I could decrease the size of the digital readout. Or maybe I should just use the word in the text only.

It is nice to have a bunch of intelligent readers to help me along with the Fishing Report.

I'm sure the cows will be happier with this change as well.

Byron

kpaluso
08-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Byron,

Instead of "indeterminate" could we use a 0 with a vertical line through it (the phi symbol in the Greek alphabet) to denote the null set? Do we have any mathematicians who could weigh in on this?

Or could it be that I should seek counseling. After all we're talking about the "Cow Standing Factor"!

Better yet, forget that I even brought it up. Thanks so much for your daily reports!

Ken

irfishing
08-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Byron,
Seems that the CSF of zero that you post is ok if I understand how you determine it. (You look from your office and determine the number of cows standing). If you don't see any, the number is zero.

Yes, to get the percentage one must divide by the total number and if that is zero the answer is indeterminate. This probably only bothers mathematical types. Don't believe going this route would really add anything to your report.

Keep up the great work. Really enjoy reading your report everyday.

sammcdonald
08-29-2007, 03:05 PM
how about N/A

donwinn
08-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Bryon,

Since your sample of cows standing is not a random sample within the entire population of cows, it does not fairly represent the entire population of cows. Therefore, the degree to which you can determine reliability or a confidence level in your statistical analysis is limited. Have you calculated the standard deviation? Further, I am not sure you have performed regression analysis to determine the actual correlation between fishing results and the cow standing factor.

I would recommend you leave it as it is. But as Forrest says, "stupid is as stupid does."

Thanks for your great and fun fishing reports!

T1
08-29-2007, 05:24 PM
I think there a few people that have been out in the sun without their hats

donwinn
08-29-2007, 06:11 PM
T1,

I think you are very wise. Actually, for me, I have just been away from the GSMNP too long. I am going to remedy that this weekend. I hope they get some rain so the cow standing factor will be high this weekend.

Bryon, Paula, Daniel, look out, we are coming over!

jgduckhunter
08-29-2007, 06:13 PM
I had no idea there were so many intelligent types on this board or I would have been keeping my stupid opinions to myself.

donwinn
08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
T1,

I am still laughing. That was so great!

Byron Begley
08-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Hey guys,

I got another call from Bill O'Reilly this afternoon. He's been giving me a hard time about this same subject on his "Factor". I told him that Ken and all you guys have this worked out. I have decided to quit returning his calls. He kinda makes me nervous. Thanks for your help guys.

Byron

nvr2L8
08-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Byron,

Just tell O'Reilly that we don't "spin", we do flies.;)

T1
08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
I wish I was headed up there this weekend. I have to wait til the 1st of October

LROjunky
08-29-2007, 09:03 PM
It has been too long since I had to remember the fancy wording for this stuff, but I do remember the practicle aspects. In short, you can not divide by zero and if my memory is correct the value is is called "undefined". I could be wrong.

Gerry Romer
08-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Byron,

~

Gerry

David Knapp
08-29-2007, 11:20 PM
how about N/A

I'll second that!!!:cool:

Fishermansfly
08-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Byron Replies "H O L Y C O W"

ttas67
08-30-2007, 12:16 AM
wait, I thought there was going to be some communication with the guy who could see the cows when you couldn't?

as a side note, I believe that under normal conditions, the cow standing factor really works. when I go to fish other streams, such as the soho or the Hi, I have passed other herds and noted whether or not they were standing. it appears to work. also, when plateau angler and I were out west, we noted that it appeared to work. in yellowstone, the buffalo standing, and in particular when they were romping around, seemed to correspond with better fishing. what's more, when we got close to a full moon, the little buffalo calves started running around like crazies and the adults would jump around and chase them. its all connected.....cows, moon, fish, me.

russ
08-30-2007, 08:21 AM
You all appear to have ample amounts of time on your hands. I am busy as I can be at work. Why don't some of you all come to the office and work for me for a few days? It would really help me out and maybe if you put the same amount of effort into work as you do into analyzing the Cow Standing factor we might get enough done so I can go fishing!:biggrin:

Brian Griffing
08-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Russ,
Apparently you're not so busy that you can't read the message board. But you are not alone, I am having the same problem. What I really need is for somebody who has some free time to come by and smash my computer.
Griff

donwinn
08-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Russ,

I thought you knew. Most of us are incredibly rich and only work to kill time between fishing adventures. Keep working hard so the rest of us have the water to ourselves.

That is not really funny. I am 48 and about to loose my job due to a merger. Some of the people I work for here are getting very rich, but I am not one of them.

I think I am going to have a lot of time to fish soon.

Brian Griffing
08-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Don,
Say the word and I will have a recruiter over to your place in an hour...

russ
08-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Russ,
Apparently you're not so busy that you can't read the message board.
Griff

Brian,
Even though I'm busy, I have to keep my priorities straight! How else am I going to get my fishing fix if not from reading this board?:biggrin: If I had some of you rich people helping me out then I'd have more time to read this board and make even more sarcastic remarks!:rolleyes: