PDA

View Full Version : Is it raining?!!

Trout Hunter
08-29-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm down in Greenville, SC and we're getting a good bit of rain at the moment. I've been watching a strong thunderstorm now for over 45 minutes! Looks like we might get a few inches out of this one! It's the most rain I've seen since spring. I'm looking at the radar and it looks like the GSMNP is getting in on some of it too. I can't remember the last time I was so happy to see rain.:biggrin:

Norm

I wanna go fishing!

nvr2L8
08-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Norm,

I live in Maryville which is less than a half hour from Townsend and we are getting some pretty good rain here. Hopefully, they're getting the same stuff up there.

Byron Begley
08-29-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm still at the shop. It's raining so hard here I can't drive home. I can't see the mountains through the rain. It is really coming down. This is good.

I hit Norm's edit button by mistake. I didn't edit your post, just missed the right button. Sorry Norm.

Byron

Jswitow
08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
I too was hoping the mountains were getting a good soaking. I bet we had 2-3 inches at the office today between 5 and 6 pm! When I got home, eight miles from the office we had had just had a shower, the ground was hardly wet... HOPE THE MOUNTAINS GOT A DELUGE! (Otherwise known as a gulleywasher!) And in a little selfish note, I really hope the Snowbird mountains got it!
Soggyly,
John

ijsouth
08-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Short term - this is great news. Just checked the level on LR, and it's spiked up a tenth of a foot. If y'all can get some decent rains every few days, the fish should start feeling some relief.

Long-term, it's going to take a lot more than that to restore the water tables. We really need a couple of wet winters...what set this drought up this year was the dry winter. As of right now, the long-term forecasts point to an equal chance of below or above normal precipitation (and temperatures).

russ
08-30-2007, 08:19 AM
As of right now, the long-term forecasts point to an equal chance of below or above normal precipitation (and temperatures).

That sounds like a politician's answer:biggrin:

I'm not calling you a politician though. I aint that mean!

czkid
08-30-2007, 08:55 AM
I left the house here in Huntsville last night at about 5PM and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Got home about 9, same thing, but the cat and dog are going nuts... water all over the basement. Started checking this morning with neighbors and find that we had over 3 inches of rain in about 1 1/2 hour! I had eaten dinner not 5 miles away and not a drop. Strange weather we all are having.

Other than the tailwaters I'm not touching the streams for fishing... it's just not fair to the fish. We may have an interesting harvest from all of this here in the South East for the next couple of years what with E. TN, NC, SC, N. GA all suffering from this drought. I would suspect that native populations are going to fall drastically for a year or so.......... just when I'm going to retire and have some real time to fish. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Ralph

fishNlady
08-30-2007, 04:44 PM
We've had a slow steady rain off and on since yesterday afternoon here in Cosby. It is great to see it!

ijsouth
08-30-2007, 08:17 PM
fishNlady...that's great news - that sort of rain is better than a gully-washer...that's the sort of rain that will eventually build up the water table. I just bought an acre in Cosby, so hello neighbor!

czkid...from what Byron has posted many times, per his conversations with Stephen Moore, I wouldn't worry too much about the fish populations - from an angler's standpoint, there probably won't be that much of a difference. There's a high mortality rate in these streams to begin with - what will probably happen is the average size will increase - the streams can only support so many pounds of fish. Also, realize that not every stream and watershed has suffered. Certainly, the Little River watershed has taken it on the chin - there have already been reports of dead trout. However, others have lucked out with a little more rain, and seem to be holding their own.

Last weekend, I fished Cosby Creek in the park, because I knew that the area had received a lot of rain the day before, and it would be in ok shape. I ended up catching and releasing over 20 - not bad at all for about 5 hours of fishing. I also fished over in N.C., on Straight Fork, and that stream has been cold and flowing all summer. So, it isn't all doom and gloom.

pedipop
08-30-2007, 09:59 PM
I have refrained from traveling to the GSMNP this year to avoid additional pressure on my favorite fishing venue. IF precipitation now resumes more normal frequency and amount, do some of you local veterans have a guess as to how long one should expect to wait before coming with a clear conscience?
I need a fix of quiet solitude in a cold stream with occasional action on the other end of the leader.
Thanks for your opinions.

PS. Thank all you contributors. It helps to enjoy your vivid experiences vicariously.

ijsouth
08-30-2007, 10:16 PM
You can go right now...but, you have to pick your spots. The N.C. side has been looking better. I fished Straight Fork last weekend, and the flow and temp was fine. On the other hand, Little River looked horrible. Right now, the water table is low, and it will take a long time for it to catch up - really it will take a year or two of above-average precipitation for things to even out; droughts don't start and stop on a dime, and this one has been a few years in the making. In the meantime, if a given watershed gets some decent rain every few days, it will be fine. However, if an area goes any length of time without rain, the streams in that area will suffer, because it can't get much recharging help from the aquifer.

Even with all that, the fish can handle the low water, provided it doesn't get too warm. That has been the problem with some streams - low and warm water. The days are getting noticeably shorter, though, so those cool nights are coming.