PDA

View Full Version : Hiwassee Report 8/29

Sage
08-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Made it over to the Hi on Wednesday. Many thanks to the gentlemen who sponsored our trip!! Fish counts were good for this time of year. Saw some action on top with a para adams & black beetle. Boogers were producing here and there. We were pleased to start off with cloud cover, but it was gone after a short while and the dry fly action tapered off. Late afternoon the clouds returned and so did the top water action. Andy O' landed 7 at one of our anchor stops, bows & browns averaging 11-12". We had 2 boats in our group and we averaged 30 to 40 fish per boat. The water temp is getting up there around 62-63 degrees, so they are moving upstream to try to find cooler temps. That sure is a beautiful trip. Hans was right about the Hi being tough on the boat if you're not familiar with it. Man there were some nasty looking rocks. Thankfully our guides know the water like the back of their hand and did a great job for us. I was fortunate enough to meet Rockyraccoon for the first time. Excellent guide working for a top notch guide service.

irfishing
08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Sage,
Good report on what sounds like a great day on the river. Which part did you fish (where the Temp was above 60 degrees)?
I second you comments about Rockyraccoon. Fished with him earlier this year.

Sage
08-31-2007, 08:50 AM
irfishing,
We put in at the powerhouse and took out at Reliance. Dane Law (our guide, Rocky was guiding my friends) was telling us about the temps. They're ok right now upstream, but the farther downstream we went, the temp was a little warmer. He was informing us of the coming temp inversion of the water above the dam, he referred to it as it "turning over". Fishing the park mainly, this was educational. If you have a chance to go over there, try to stay upstream as much as possible. Good luck & have a good weekend.