PDA

View Full Version : Rain on Friday

nvr2L8
09-01-2007, 10:39 AM
It was really disappointing to see the fishing report this morning and see that there was only .1 inch of rain at the shop. When we left the WPLPR at 5:30 or so on Friday, they were getting a downpour on that side of the mountains. Somebody needs to get on top of LeConte and blow some of the clouds over to the quiet side of the Smokies.

ijsouth
09-01-2007, 10:58 AM
When I look at the radar, I like to see the rain falling "up high"...that way, the entire watershed gets some water...if it falls too far down the stream, most of it doesn't benefit the miles of stream in the park.

PeteCz
09-01-2007, 01:22 PM
The eastern part of the park seems to be fairing better than the western. This week Mt LeConte received 3.15 inches of rain, Newfound Gap had 2.6, but Cades Cove only had .48

ijsouth
09-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Yep, there's a definite pattern caused by the mountains...also, the N.C. side seems to have more rain, and that has been confirmed by our experience this summer. Straight Fork has fished well all summer, and the temp has been pretty constant every time we've been there. I haven't fished Raven Fork, but it has looked good flowing through the reservation where it meets Straight Fork. Also, Cataloochee looked pretty good on our one visit there. On the other hand, we all know how Little River has suffered - fortunately, this recent rain seems to have brought it back to life.