PDA

View Full Version : SM Blackbird

jgduckhunter
09-02-2007, 11:25 PM
What's the deal with this SM blackbird. It is apparently a good fly but every time someone mentions it on a post everyone acts like it is a secret CIA fly or something and I know it is supposed to be a very old pattern but there isn't a recipe for anywhere on the planet

Flying Trout
09-03-2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/images/nymphs/SmokyMountainBlackbird.jpg

Above is a link to a picture of the fly on Hugh Hartsell's page.

Here is a link to a previous thread that contained a recipe that is similar.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8397

appalachian angler
09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
That is a fly that Hugh holds sacred. Show the man alittle respect and kindly ask him about it over an email.

AA

Kevin_Thomas
09-04-2007, 07:24 AM
We don't chat about it too much out of respect for Mr Hartsell. He shares a lot of information with us on the board. The SMBSH is a fly that he has spent countless hours perfecting, and while I do tie my own flies, I prefer to get that particular fly from him. Its not a big secret, we are all just big fans of Mr. Hartsell.

And yes, it is a very good fly. I spent a day on the water with him and he shared multiple tactics for using it, and all were very effective.

jgduckhunter
09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Kevin that seems like the right thing to do after reading his website it is obvious how special it is to him so i will buy mine also

Kevin_Thomas
09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I must admit I'm kinda sentimental about it. I'm just 35, but I think about the day I'll teach my grandkids to flyfish and how cool its going to be to show them a SMBSH tied by Mr. Hartsell and tell them about the day he taught me to use it. Its part of why I love our sport, we can still meet some of our heros. And for a small price, even spend a day on the water with them. I wonder what it would have been like to meet Horace Kephart or Eddie George. Even though I can't do that I can still reach out to guys like Hugh Hartsell, Walter Babb, Jack Gregory, Tim Doyle, just to name a few. LRO even brings in Lefty Kreh from time to time. Its just amazing to watch the history book as it is being written. I love these mountains, the trout that live in them and the guys that help us all get a little more out of the time we spend there.