PDA

View Full Version : Clinch?

bcunnin1
09-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Any recommendations for tomorrow and this weekend? What are they hitting?

bcunnin1
09-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Today we got all our fish on Wolly Buggers. With the best being my personal best 12-15 inch rainbow. Just in case anyone is going I would take a couple with me. We fished them on the swing and by just stripping them quickly.

UofMontanaAlum
09-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I was sore lippin' em with a crackleback pattern last Friday. I brought in over 50 fish between 7a and 10a. Slow and long strips, size 14, yellow in color. Fish between 8 - 18 inches.

I lost my last crackleback as the generators turned on. Last fish of the day was around 18 inches so I didn't mind it too much when the fly finally fell apart.

I fished Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday (gotta love labor day) on the Clinch and Friday was by far the best due to the cracklebacks. As soon as I got back into Knoxville Friday night I ordered up 24 more cracklebacks and they arrived today. I am hopefully going back this weekend to rip more lips.

Waterborn
09-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Can't go wrong with a zebra midge, scud, or a small PT...

Deedub
09-06-2007, 09:36 PM
I was looking to go Saturday morning before some husbandly duties later that day.
I'm from Middle Tennessee and I've only fished the Clinch once at I believe Miller's Island...any other suggestions?

Can you wade there if they're generating with only one that morning?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

FFM4LIFE
09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Opinions will vary,but I have fished at Millers Island on the left side of the Island with one Generator and it is not as bad as You would think. Just stay close to bank on the road side so you can exit the river at any time.

appalachian angler
09-07-2007, 10:40 AM
DeeDub,

With the projected schedule this weekend, you should be able to fish the lower secton by the new 2nd Baptist church all day. There are good numbers of fish down there and much more room to spread out than at Millers'. Take I-40 to exit 356 (Tn hwy fifty eight) and travel North toward Oakridge. Hwy becomes Tn95 just before getting into Oak Ridge. Stay on 95 "turnpike" through town and it becomes Hwy 61 before getting into Clinton. Go straight at the big intersection in Clinton keeping the Toyota dealership on your left and the Bridge on your right. Go another mile or so until you see a Big Lots/ Hammers' store shopping center on your left. Slow down and take the next left immediately before the bridge. Travel past the County Jail and park in the gravel lot behind the church. Enter the river there and fish on!

AA

Deedub
09-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all the help guys and for the directions A.A.
I'll give a full report...

I'm looking forward to it.

Gerry Romer
09-07-2007, 11:45 AM
If you're planning on fishing the Clinch this weekend at the church, be prepared to deal with an impossibly large crowd... and I'm not talking about combat fishing.:eek:

I had posted here about a month ago, a message asking that we who use the church parking lot turn out in support of the Second Baptist Church Men's Ministry and their first ever "Riverside Sportsman's Festival". At the time, the message got zero responses.

I just re-checked their website and it seems they're now anticipating a crowd of 1,000 men and boys - hunters and fishermen of all stripes. Additionally, it has apparently been expanded to 2 days - Saturday and Sunday!

Below is a link to the church's weekly online bulletin. From there you can open a PDF with some of the specifics on the event.

I still think y'all should go and support this program. Just don't plan on fishing. :biggrin:

http://www.secondbaptistchurch.org/m-mens.htm

Gerry

bcunnin1
09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Can you park at the jail? Or is the Church the only place to park because I am planning on fishing Sunday morning early?

UofMontanaAlum
09-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't think you can park at the jail (due to motion sensors/detectors from what I have heard).

I have parked at the church on Sunday several times. Just park in the gravel lot and park towards the back away from the church. The church goin' folk are fairly friendly and won't bite you.

Gerry Romer
09-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Can you park at the jail? Or is the Church the only place to park because I am planning on fishing Sunday morning early?

If they bring in as many people as they're planning on, you won't be able to park anywhere near the church for the purposes of fishing. The start time for the Expo is 6am with a fishing contest scheduled to start at 7am...

There's a very narrow space between the jail and the impound lot that has river access. If you can find it, you have to walk close in to the impound lot fence so as to not set off the alarms. But if they're planning on using the river for the fishing contest (?) the Clinch is gonna be pretty crowded.

Early or not, if you don't want to attend the Riverside Sportsman's Festival and you still want to fish the Clinch, you probably ought to just head up to Miller's Island or the weir.

Gerry

RuningWolf
09-08-2007, 08:17 PM
The jail use to allow parking and still does as long as you donít park in reserved slots, block access or block on the EMTís site as some have done in the past and blocked the exits as well.

2nd Baptist is a friendly church and has graciously allowed parking for fishermen. TWRA may be putting in an access off their property as well. I do appreciate the reminders by those on here to pick up litter, respect the church, etc as I am sure the Church does and the surrounding property owners. However many do not as some on here have asked. I still hear tales of drinking and of pot smoking in the Church lot. I also hear of littering and some complaints of fisherman being loud during church services. It wonít take but a few to ruin it for all.

Also keep in mind that the land on the other side of the river and just up river is all-private. Fences have been ridden down, vandalism has occurred, littering etc. Most of the landowners here donít mind fisherman. However most are bait fisherman, people have cussed them for keeping fish. The deeds there go to the middle of the river. You are fishing if you are wading in the river by their good graces. Keep in mind the feelings over the proposed regs are going to make some of the landowners more susceptible to shutting off access for behavior they overlooked in the past and could result in them complaining to the church over the public access. Some of the landowners are members or friends of members who have a great deal of influence in the 2nd Baptist Church. The vandalism if observed needs to be reported. Respect their rights and property equal to or with more respect than you do your own in order to keep this access open

kytroutman
09-09-2007, 09:06 AM
RW, I am glad you spelled out the potential problems. Given some of the behavior I have seen, from the corn/worm dunkers and the fly fishermen, I can understand the landowners frustrations. This is especially true for the wonderful folks at the church. It's common decency not to be drinking or whooping & hollering when church is going on. I witnessed this and it wasn't the bait fishermen. It's also not only common decency but illegal to cross a landowners property that is marked NO TRESPASSING to get access to the water. This type of behavior is not commonplace but the few guilty parties will make it impossible for the rest of us to have future access to the river if the behavior is not curbed.

flyguy
09-09-2007, 09:58 PM
when TVA stops flowing water from Norris Dam how long is it before you can wade at the jail. I have never fished there before and was hoping to tomorrow. I think the schedule calls for no generation after 8 am. Also I am new to fly fishing so what would you guys recommend using. Thanks

RuningWolf
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
8.5 for 1 gen 9.5 hrs for two

The pulse will get there between 12-1 if the go according to schedule (and this is TVA so all bets are off) and it will be slow to drop and it puts a lot of the fish down.

The river got pounded there Sat and the fish will take a few days to return to normal as well

Anybody know what they are going to build across the river from 2nd Baptist?