PDA

View Full Version : Where was I on Abrams Creek?

LROjunky
09-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I went up Lower Abrams from 72 the other day without a game plan and was wondering where I was (I know this is does not sound good). I went up past the campground beyond the parking lot and followed the hiking trail for about a mile or so (I did not have a map) and made a right hand turn at the next campsite. From there I went up a mountain and followed the trail for about another mile until the trail came down to meet the river on my right (about 15 feet away) - any idea where I was and why it took so long to hike back down to the campsite? I have since looked at maps and they do not seem to make sense. Is it possible that I hiked in further than I think I did? It was an awsome day of fishing and hiking, but is this strectch passable when the water is up? Is there any way to get back to the trail if you do not want to fish the entire strectch that I may have missed? I must tell you, I was happy to finally see the campground and wish I had taken a camera. Ultimately I am trying to see where I was a map of some sort. Any help would be appreciated.

Backcountry FF
09-07-2007, 03:55 PM
LROjunky,

Sounds like you were headed to campsite 17 on the Little Bottoms Trail. If you started out at the Abrams Creek Campground you would have been on Cooper Road Trail. The right hand turn would have been at Backcountry Campsite 1 onto Little Bottoms Trail. You were back there a ways if this is the case.
You say the fishing was good? I would have thought this time of year that section of Abrams would mainly hold smallmouth and shiners. If you don't mind me askin, what all did you catch?
You must have really fished hard to get all the way back down to the campground. I'm not trying to be flippant here, but take some advice:
Buy a park map and a compass and know how to use them. Your outing ended just fine, but others have not been as lucky.
Glad you got out before dark!

LROjunky
09-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I greatly appreciate the information and would love to share some with you.

PM me at jimabbott@charter.net

PeteCz
09-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Like Charles said, you were on the Little Bottoms Trail near Campsite #17. If you like exploring, I would recommend the TrailsIllustrated Map for the Great Smoky Mtns National Park (#229) and also the Hiking Trails of the Smokies book (it has elevation profiles and points out spots that trails cross stream, etc). You can easily carry both of them with you (as well as a compass).

The hike up over the ridge is good heart pumper. Did you say you fished all the way back down to the campground? Did you really catch any fish over there? How was the water? Typically that section of the stream does not fare too well, this time of year. It's usually much better in the spring.

No one has talked much about Abrams in awhile, so any info would be appreciated by everyone...

LROjunky
09-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Yes I did make it all the way back to the campground. The fishing was good, if you count big chubs (really big and colorfull) and smallmouths. Saw some good looking fish. The landscape is awsome - but, boy it is a hike.

LROjunky
09-07-2007, 06:48 PM
There seems to be plenty of water, but based on the exposed rock bed it could be higher. If it were any higher ( say 12 - 15 inches ) I do not know how you could wade straight through to the campground. If it was as high as I figure it could be there is no way you could make it through without bushwacking.

PeteCz
09-07-2007, 07:08 PM
I've fished it in the Spring a little past Kingfisher Creek (where the stream bends and the trail leaves Abrams) and at Little Bottoms, but not in between. Parts of Abrams above the campground can be waded, but not forded. Most of it can, but there are a few spots that it is pretty deep. There also isn't much of a trail below Little Bottoms, so bushwhacking would be the only way (other than through the water).

What did you catch the Smallies and Chubs with?

MtnMike
09-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I know that this has been mentioned before, but for those who may have missed it check out the trail map at www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm)

Melton
09-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey there fellows, I was wondering if any of you could give me any suggestions on flies to use on lower Abrams. I just moved to Maryville, TN from south Alabama and am trying to check out some of the fishing holes. I also am new to trout and smallmouth fishing. I read an article about Abrams, it said to use the nymphs and that dry flies weren't that productive. Is that true? I wanna learn to trout and smallmouth fish so any suggestion on flies to use over at lower Abrams would be greatfully appreciated.

If you don't wanna post it on here, you can email me at
melton_jonathan@yahoo.com