PDA

View Full Version : fishing the lufty, ravens fork or nanta

msdilligaff
09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Can anyone recommend what would be good to fly this weekend in Cherokee? Would love to get a jump start so I can get some early morning fishing in!
Thanks, Lisa

WRN
09-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Was over on NC side this past weekend and the Ocon has decent water, but nothing to jump about. I would also think Bradley Fork could fish decent if you go up high on the trail. Anything yellow will work on the bows.

Art Vandalay
09-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Unless you're fishing with PBR and worms I would stay away from the Nantahala. I fished all three streams you mentioned last week and Bradley fork would be my top choice with Deep creek as my afternoon option. I spooked the largest fish I have ever seen in Bradley fork just above Smokemont last week. You need to be stealth, but I think you'll be surprised with your visibility. The water's certainly clear, but use it to your advantage and stay out of it in the shadows until you spot fish and need to cast.

Mr. Vandalay

old tom
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I rode by the Upper Nantahala about a week ago and it had some decent water in it. But I don't think it has rained a drop since then. It hasn't been stocked since July, but you may find a few hold-overs still around. If you want to get in some early morning fishing, you might try the lower section of the Nan before they start generating... usually about 9:00. I actually saw more people fishing the lower section than were on the DH section.

flyman
09-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey Art,
What part of the Raven Fork did you fish? Hope we get some rain this week. The Raven Fork and Bradley Fork are so low I wouldn't fish them at the current levels.

msdilligaff
09-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks everyone! I have never fished Bradley Fork, you say above Smokemont?? Is it accesible from the road or I am I in need of a map?
Lisa

Art Vandalay
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Lisa,

Bradley fork runs into the Smokemont campground. Just keep driving to the trail head and day use parking. It's a pretty easy trail to follow.

Flyman,

I fished Bradley, not Raven fork. Let's just say that Hyatt ridge trail and my oversized rear would not be a good match this time of year. I would agree the water's low and not so cool, but my options are limited being that I live in Atlanta.

Mr. Vandalay

msdilligaff
09-11-2007, 12:04 PM
sounds easy enough, the way I come into Cherokee I would have to pass Harrahs on my left to get to smokemont, I think. Could I bother you for directions into the place?? Pretty please with a brand new fly on top

Art Vandalay
09-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Once you enter the park form Cherokee, the Smokemont campground is on your right after a few miles. You can stop at the entrace to get a trail map, or got to (nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm) and download the maps.

Mr. Vandalay

msdilligaff
09-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Thank you very much!!