PDA

View Full Version : mid week fishing fix

Troutman
09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Went over to one of my favorite places to smallie fish this evening to get in a mid week fishing fix. The water level was a little higher and cooler than my last trip there about a month ago. The fishing was much slower also. I caught about 8 redbreast sunfish, a couple of redeyes and only 2 smallies about 8-10". The unexpected catch was a 12" largemouth. Guess I've been spoiled over the last few months with much larger fish but they all feel good no matter the size! They all took my black foam popper in about 8" of water right on the banks.

Bran
09-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Sounds good. I have been having a time getting them to bite lately. I fished yesterday evening after my trip and caught 1 SMB about 10". Nothing else, tried the Sunfish poppers and spiders etc, nothing. Water is so low and clear, I guess that's what's wrong but I don't remember having such a slow bite in years past during late summer.
Glad to hear you got into them some, I see you guys are getting some rain this morning, we're patiently waiting, hopefully we'll get some later today. I'm turning over the idea of heading to the Blue Ridge Sat. and trying the Brookies. Just have to wait and see how it plays out. Have a good one.

Bran
09-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Just spoke with a bass fishing buddy, he tells me that one of his tournament partners has made 3 trips to the New River section in VA the last 2 weeks. He and the guy fishing with him have topped 100 Smallies a day each time. He told me they were using Mad Tom imitations. Could be a fishing tale but I pass it along for what it's worth. I wish I had time to go find out first hand.

Troutman
09-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I think a black Shenk's sculpin fly makes a pretty good madtom imitation. They are tied with deer hair and fish well on a sinktip with a short flouro. leader.
I believe I have a couple that Walter Babb tied up and I won in a TU meeting raffle. I need to try that next trip.
The new river is one of those places I want to eventually visit!

Ohh, Yes it is raining here! a good soaking drizzle.