PDA

View Full Version : South Holston help.

bcunnin1
09-13-2007, 07:49 AM
I am thinking with no home game this weekend I am going to try some new water this weekend. I was thinking the South Holston (but I am open to suggestions). But I need directions to any wading access points on the river. Any other suggestions would be appreciated also. Thanks, Ben.

CinciVol
09-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Ben,

I was up at the S Holston about a year ago with Hugh Hartsell, who did a great job guiding some pretty incompetent fishermen (most notably, myself). It is an awesome river, and it fishes much better than the Clinch and has a lot more access points. Others will have to explain where to go b/c I've only been there once and we fished mostly up at the weir dam. No clue on what to use this time of year either, I'm sure others can help. We fished in mid-october last year and used sulphurs and BWO emergers, I think...

I could probably go with you if you were heading up on Sunday. When were you thinking of going?

Dave

bcunnin1
09-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Sunday as of now. Probably early Sunday morning. I will let you know I think Steven is thinking about going and maybe one of our other friends but when I talk to them and get something hammered solid I will let you know. We just need directions on where to go and what to fish now. I will let you know on her or with an email.

MtnMike
09-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, just get on I81 and head north. Take exit 69 and turn right onto Hwy 394 this is a 4 lane that will go approx. 12-15 miles and run into Hwy 421. At the intersection turn right onto 421, this is another 4 lane. Follow for about 2-3 miles, turn right on what I believe is Emmett Rd. right beside of Shelley's Chicken House (very good chicken!) follow this road to the weir dam (I think there are signs). This is probably the fastest way to the upper river. You can be at the weir dam in about 20 minutes from I81. From the weir dam you can just explore the roads that go down the river all the way to Bluff City. There are a lot of places to fish and in many places there are roads on both sides, but usually provide access at different locations. There are a lot of places to fish the upper river: below the weir dam there are numerous trails, the tva property off of riverbend rd, or parking above the Hwy 44 bridge and walking down the bridge. The middle river has access on Big Springs Rd. as well as underneath Weaver Pike Rd. The lower river has access off of Rockhold Rd. Your best bet may be to begin at the weir dam and work your way down. You can expect a crowd at the weir. But if you walk down the trails by the river you can usually find a place to fish.

MtnMike
09-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Looks like Gerry answered the question on another thread while I was typing. My milage were all estimates. Also I think that Emmett Rd. turns and goes down the river before actually getting to the weir, but I believe there are signs at this point. Anyway, sorry for the double post.

bcunnin1
09-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks MtnMike that was really helpful. I will just get up there and explore at my first chance. Thanks again, Ben.

Backcountry FF
09-14-2007, 11:41 AM
It looks like you are getting some good info on this thread and the other regarding the SoHo. If you are heading up there with Cincivol, I emailed him a great spot. If not, email me: chazrufus@aol.com, I'll let you in on a few good spots to get you going.

I'm booked up for the next few weekends with some TU stuff, but after that we ought to get together for another trip. Surely we can do better than that time on the Clinch a few weeks ago.

Good Luck!