PDA

View Full Version : Hiwassee?

David Knapp
09-13-2007, 09:48 AM
I haven't fished the HI all summer and was just wondering how the water temps are doing currently....? I know it has been unusually cold for a large portion of the summer, so are we going to make it all the way through without losing a bunch of fish? Just curious...I'll probably be heading that way to fish in the next few days and can just check for myself too I suppose...:rolleyes:

tennswede
09-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I fished it well in to July and it was still below 64 deg. I think it has been pushing up in to the high sixties lately if you go below Reliance. I think upstream is alright though. Check with Don Denney and the guys on hiwassee.net.

Fishermansfly
09-14-2007, 12:25 AM
What time you goin and where you putting in....I've really been wanting to go up there. I'd kill to float it right about now or in another month! Let me know I may tag along!

Brett

Marmot
09-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Think that Labor day weekend was the last high water at the Hi for a little while.. They have just been running the pulsing schedule since.. Wading should be good though.. As for the water temps, they were still good before they cut back the flows..
Marmot

David Knapp
09-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Hans and Marmot, thanks for the info! I just hope that a good number of quality fish made it through the summer...this fall and winter should be really good on the HI.

Brett, I'll be fishing it fairly often now. As long as I can find a few hours away from schoolwork that is... I'm looking at possibly Sunday, probably in the morning and if I go, I'll be fishing somewhere on the upper river between the Powerhouse and Big Bend... I probably won't know for sure if I'm going until Saturday night...let me know if you're interested and I'll let you know for sure later...

Backcountry FF
09-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Plateau,

I spent the day on the HI last Saturday. Not a horrible day, not a great day.
The water temps seemed to be back up. I was wet wading without any problems, so it wasn't too cold. They had 2 gens running from 11-3. I caught the backside of the early morning 1 gen pulse at Big Bend and caught around eight or so, missed a few, and had a few LDR's. Fish ranged from 8-12".

When the water came up I decided to check out Gee Creek, only to find Gee Creek is now Gee Trickle. I don't know why I thought it would be any different than any other freestone around here.

Got back on the water at the powerhouse at 3, nothing doing. Went back to Big Bend area at 4 and fished until 7:30. Caught a few more, much of the same.

Tan caddis around 16 or 18 worked good, as well as various nymphs 14-16.

Good luck to you!

tennswede
09-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Gee Creek, yes I have many fond memories from there. I used to fish it once a year and way up in there. I can't imagine the flow right now. It's sad but hopefully it will come back.