PDA

View Full Version : Montana Trip Report

donwinn
09-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Well, Steve and I had a great trip to Montana. We fished out of Grizzly Hackle in Missoula. They handled our hotel arrangements as well. They are a first class operation. Our guide was Drew Miller who I had used once before. He was great! Interestingly, Drew and I had used the same great guide to fish for tarpon this spring in the keys. We both used Drew Delashmit. Of course Bryon refered me to the Drew in the keys. I would strongly recommend Drew Miller if you want a guide in the Missoula area. We fished the Bitterroot and Clark Fork with Drew. We also were lucky enough to get to fish on the Rock Creek as it opened the Saturday we were there. It had been closed due to fires. I have included a few pictures to give you a feel for our trip.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/donwinn/DonMontanaBow.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/donwinn/SteveCutBow.jpghttp://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/donwinn/DonMontana19InchBow.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/donwinn/DonMontana19InchBow.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/donwinn/DonClarkForkBow.jpg

mstone
09-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey donwinn,
What did you think about Rock Creek ? Access seems good.What about the fish size? Am going out in the area next July hopefully. Planning on spending a few days there. Crowded? Best fly patterns?

Thanks for any comments,
mstone

donwinn
09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Mstone,

Rock Creek was great. We only fished it one afternoon and caught a lot of fish for the time we were there. There is a lot of private property in the valley, but there are many access points to the creek. The fish are there and some have some good size. I caught two fish in the 14 inch range. I am sure there are larger fish there. We were using tricos and royals. I am not sure how crowded it would be under normal conditions. The area had been closed due to fires until the day we were there. So, there probably was not a lot on non-locals there. I certainly would give it a try. It is only 25 miles outside of Missoula. There are fly shops in the valley that will help you with the best flies for July.

UofMontanaAlum
09-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Your pictures make me miss home! The 4 best years of my life (so far :p) were in Missoula. Did you visit the university while you were there?

donwinn
09-17-2007, 02:01 PM
UofMontanaAlum,

I can't imagine going to school there. We did not go on campus, but I did two years ago when I was out there with my wife. I told my fishing buddy, Steve, that I wish I had gone to school some place like that. He went to Oregon State. I stayed here at home to go. Of course, if I had gone out there, I probably would not have finished and would be a fishing bum today.

I have been in Montana a lot over the years. I have traveled quite a bit around this country and the world. Montana is my favorite place. I wish I could go back tomorrow.

Bran
09-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Don, The wife wants to go out to Big Sky next summer and go to Yellowstone. I don't know if we'll do it yet but just wondered about your knowledge of that area and the fishing. I haven't started researching it yet but I just looked at Missoula on the map as opposed to Big Sky. If we go should I plan to try for a couple days toward Missoula in addition to Big Sky?

donwinn
09-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Bran,

Missoula is a great place, but I don't think I would leave the Madison, Yellowstone, and Gallatin rivers and drive 4 - 5 hours to Missoula. Those are three of the premier rivers in the world. You also have the Firehole and Gibbon in the park. To the west of Big Sky (closer than Missoula), you have the Beaverhead and Big Hole rivers - two more famous rivers. I think you will have more water than you can fish within 2 hours of Big Sky. You are going to have a great time! Have you been to Yellowstone before? It is a little piece of heaven on earth. Of course, when you are in the geyser basin, you will think more of **** than heaven. You really should go. You can fish in the park, but if possible, I would hire a guide outside the park for one day.

Watch out for the grizzly bears!

UofMontanaAlum
09-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I can't decide what I need to take with me on my trip out to MT this Christmas. My skis or my fly rod. :confused: Decisions, decisions :p

(...probably both but don't tell the wife :eek:)

Bran
09-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I was wondering about the guide. I've never been, so it'll be all new. We have talked about going for years, we are looking at next summer. I get the feeling that we'll need more than a week to see it. It's something like a 45 or 50 minute drive from the Big Sky lodge to the Old Faithful area in Yellowstone. Thanks for the info Don.--Bran

donwinn
09-19-2007, 09:41 AM
UofMAlum,

How is the weather at Christmas? Are you originally from Montana? My wife is from just about as far south as you can get and not be on an island, so, going somewhere cold for the holidays or to live is not really in the cards. What brought you to Tennessee?

donwinn
09-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Bran,

You could probably spend a month and not see all you wanted to see. Just enjoy what you can. Have a great trip!

UofMontanaAlum
09-19-2007, 01:09 PM
How is the weather at Christmas?
Cold. We haven't had very much snow over the past few years but its colder than a witches mammary-gland most of the time.

Are you originally from Montana?
Yes sir. Born and raised in Great Falls MT. Graduated from UM (GO GRIZ!) in 04'.

What brought you to Tennessee?
Work. Finding a professional position straight out of college in Montana is next to impossible. What you have to do is get in with a company that sells something in Montana, wait until that sales rep either retires or dies, then apply for that position and hope like **** that you get it :rolleyes: Not that I have that planned out or anything :biggrin:

My wife is from just about as far south as you can get and not be on an island, so, going somewhere cold for the holidays or to live is not really in the cards.
I think if she went and visited, she would change her mind quickly.

donwinn
09-19-2007, 01:22 PM
UofMAlum,

We have visited many times, but not in the winter. She loves Montana as well - as long as it is during the summer. We were in Glacier a couple of years ago in late September. It was already getting too cold for her at altitude.

I hope you get back home soon. I wish I was there right now.

UofMontanaAlum
09-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Depending on how high you go in Glacier, you can be standing in a few feet of snow in the middle of July.

If there were 1 place I could pick to live for the rest of my life, it would be Jackson WY. It is my favorite place to visit. The skiing is amazing all winter and now that I am a fly fisherman my choices from spring to fall would be endless. That's my dream right now. :rolleyes:

If you plan a trip out to MT again anytime soon, let me know and I can give you some ideas of things to do. I know the major cities well and most of the smaller ones too.

Butte Irish
10-08-2007, 11:54 PM
U of M alumni,

Make sure you delay the Christmas vist enough to watch the Griz in Cahttanooga this year. Lots of us will be there for that game.

Butte Irish

There is no bad season to come to MT or WY. The cody area is great as is all the other areas.

I do know the Butte area quite well.

jeffnles1
10-09-2007, 12:00 PM
All this talk about Montana and Wyoming is making it hard for me to concentrate on work, and I love it!

My dream is to retire and move out there. You all have no idea how many times I go to sleep thinking about that beautiful part of the country.

My wife wants to have a lake house someplace where it's warm year around. I want a house by a trout stream in Montant, Wyoming, or Idaho.

A very good compromise is looking to be East Tennessee which is my second favorite place on the planet.

You're all giving me a chance to dream a little today. thx.
Jeff