PDA

View Full Version : Just a thinking about the Litter Problem

Vern
09-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I have noticed that one of the subjects that gets the most posts on this baord is when the subject of litter is brought up. I was sitting reading "On The Spine of Time" By Harry Middleton. A very good book for people like my self that considers the Smokies more than just a place to float a dryfly, but a place that renews my soul. The one thng that can ruin this for me is the litter.
I have always carried out what I can pick up, as several others have on this board. So I was wondering how many of us would want to get together for a stream clean up once a year. I Believe the Little River Chapter of TU does one every year. Why don't do we another one at a differant time of the year and tie it to a yearly cook out. We could meet at LRO on a staurday moring and break up into teams that would take one section of Little River, then meet back at a central location and have a cook out like we did last spring.
Maybe get some shirts made up that would identify us and let other people know what we were doing. That may lead to having a dicussion with someone that does not realize what thowing a can out the window does to our park.
We can gripe about this as much as we want, and once a year clear up may not make a hugh differance, but if we can change the thinking of a few people thats a small start.
Another project I have dreamed up is to have a small out side display at Sugerlands. This display would be a 10' x 10' fenced in area that contains litter. Of course all the litter would have to be free of food products to keep the wildlife out. Next to this area would be a display board showing the 1/2 live of each product. Every 3 months the litter would be Photographed and weighed and this information would be posted on the display board. Most people don't realize how long litter will last. The pampers that several of us found along Little River is a good example. I first found it in I believe late March, went back 1st week in June, the diaper still looked the same. (still couldn't make myself to pick it up) If people could see that it is not that biodegradable maybe they would think twice about leaving it in nature.

tennswede
09-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Vern!

I agree with you, I'm just overwhelmed with the amount of garbage in and around TN as a whole. I spend a lot of time in front of my house in Knoxville and even up along my street. The people in my neighborhood don't seem to think it's worth picking up. I like your ideas but I'm worried about the amount of road to cover. I also would like some back country clean up since I have begun to see more and more on upper watersheds. I guess we need to brain storm on this.

I don't know if it would be worth contacting some of the other organizations around this area. There are numerous hiking, outdoor and rafting organizations and I'm sure they would have people as interested in this as we are. I'm not saying we should leave out TU but sometimes if we reach out to other organizations we might make a bigger impact.

The cookout that bugman ((I think?) got started with LRO attracted quite a few people as you probably remember, maybe we should tie it in to another cookout like that?

oody3wt
09-16-2007, 06:38 PM
If you need man power, I'm there.

PeteCz
09-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Count me in as well

pineman19
09-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm in once I get settled in East Tn.

Neal

Vern
09-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Hans, I was thinking about the same thing concerning the backcountry. I was figuring that the more experinced backcountry fishermen could head to the back country but we could only pick one watershed. I am sure that some people would like to stay close to the road. I could contact MTFF and see if they would be intrested in tying it to one of thier outings. I know that the few of us can't make a big differance, but its a start and maybe if the tourist see us it could help them see how important it is to keep our park clean.

kytroutman
09-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Vern:

You are making a noble attempt and I will disagree with you on one point. A few concerned people can make a difference. I would suggest contact LRCTU, the Sierra Club, IFF and any other group that cares about GSMNP and is willing to work to protect it. Establish a time frame and I am sure you will have plenty of wiling volunteers.

Jack M.
09-17-2007, 09:49 AM
A complimentary and additional idea would be to get some local sponsors to chip in and help purchase biodegradable trash bags (shopping bag size) in exchange for advertising on the side of the bag. Distribute the bags to the outfitters, fly shops, visitors centers, etc. and have a small display that encourages patrons of these establishments to take a free bag or two and bag their own refuse and any litter they find. Even those who don't take a bag will have a reminder of the litter problem -- and the solution.

Vern
09-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Sorry I have been real busy at work so I haven't had a chance to reply. Sounds like this could become a big event. I was thinking along a smaller effort. But with some help this could work. Does anyone know when LRTU has thier annual clean up

Vern
09-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I just went to the Little River Chapter of TU web site. They had a clean up on March 24TH of this year. Do we want to join forces with them next year or have our own clean up on a anther date. I am thinking in the fall to clean up after the busy season in the park.

Giantfish
09-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Wow, I like that idea, i could have come up with it first, but you beat me! Haha Any way, I hate Litter, and after my experience with those guys that messed up my fishing, I really think this is good! I just hope I get to go to some of them, depends on what I'm doing. Trash kills animals and fish, pollution is even worse. The smallest little effort can help! The Smokies are the most polluted and trashed mountain range in the U.S., it's a true fact!

Giantfish

rainBBow
09-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Count me and LRO Junky in for the fall and the spring.We probably will bring a few others as well.

tennswede
09-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I participated in the last clean up TU did this past spring and it was a good event. I have done several clean ups down on Hiwassee also. I think we should do one in the fall. It builds up over the summer and TU probably have their calendar full. I think sometimes it is necessary to do things outside of organizations. Speaking of organizations, I'm still hoping we can get the FF club going in Knoxville. We had a discussion about it this past spring and we probably need to get the ball going. Anyway, that is another topic.

Byron Begley
09-22-2007, 07:02 PM
This sounds great and count us in for any support. Three things you need to think about for a fall cleanup: Copperheads, Rattlesnakes and Yellowjackets.
But, the water is usually low. Maybe winter would be better.

Byron

RuningWolf
09-22-2007, 08:32 PM
This sounds great and count us in for any support. Three things you need to think about for a fall cleanup: Copperheads, Rattlesnakes and Yellowjackets.
But, the water is usually low. Maybe winter would be better.

Byron

In efforts like this one should always wear snake proof boots (or legging’s) and watch where you put your hands as well as where you are walking. As to the jackets if you do the above you should be able to avoid their nests. Hornet nest are to be avoided as well:eek:

Some made fun of my wife and I in some of our work in Coal Creek for wearing the boots, but they afforded a piece of mind to snake bites on the legs. I have seen the size of some of the rattlers that come off that mountain

Byron Begley
09-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Running Wolf,

Good Point. Remember the guy who stepped into a large yellowjacket nest on the Middle Prong a few years ago? He was stung over 100 times and unfortunately he died from the ordeal. I know the doctor who examined him. That doctor told me to get into the stream if that happens because the cold water could reduce the swelling that leads to the shock. Also, it is a good idea to carry an epipen with you in the backcountry especially if you are prone to an alergic reaction to stings. Your physician can prescribe one or two for you to use in a life or death situation.

I hope you and the wife are doing well. Also I hope you are keeping that ax collection tuned and picked.

Byron

RuningWolf
09-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Running Wolf,

Good Point. Remember the guy who stepped into a large yellowjacket nest on the Middle Prong a few years ago? He was stung over 100 times and unfortunately he died from the ordeal. I know the doctor who examined him. That doctor told me to get into the stream if that happens because the cold water could reduce the swelling that leads to the shock. Also, it is a good idea to carry an epipen with you in the backcountry especially if you are prone to an alergic reaction to stings. Your physician can prescribe one or two for you to use in a life or death situation.

I hope you and the wife are doing well. Also I hope you are keeping that ax collection tuned and picked.

Byron

As I am allergic to bees I always carry a strong antihistamine per the doctor. It will not be long before I have to carry the shot, errrrrrrrrrr.

He is correct on reducing the swelling. It also slows the spread of the venom. The same applies to snake bites as well

I was gutting wood one-day years ago and felt light pricks though my clothing and wondered where the briars come from. I looked down and from my knees to my feet was a crawling mass of yellow. I sat the chain saw down and hit the pond. During the predawn hours of the next morning I went back to get my saw and let the wonders of gasoline do its thing, I found mister skunk had already beat me to the punch. I am sure he was nearly a happy camper as I was.

Yes all the ax’s are being kept in tune and played. However, I am starting to fish a lot of week mornings and hope to start doing some weekend fishing soon. I would be there today but the back and knee are complaining too much

I told my wife we needed to get that way soon; there are a few things I am starting to run low on. Hopefully over the winter or next spring I will glue up the rods that arefinished or nearly finished and then there will be a need to get cork, seats, ferrules, and guides.

The wife is spending lots of times having test performed trying to find out what is causing some of the problems she has experienced for years that have gotten worse. I keep telling her that they will be sending her to a shrink soon as we all know she has to have mental problems for marrying me.

Vern
09-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Late Oct or early November? I personaly feel that the first one be a just the message board members but leave a informal invitation to all other orginzations.
Sorry I haven't done a real good job keeping up with this. this has benn an envetfull week for me. First went to my doctor to renew my HBP med and mentioned that my brother just had 6 bypasses. He sent me straight to the Cardio dr who decided for a good measure a stress test is line. Every thing went great, the nurse even told me that I was in great shape for a 46yr pld 220lb fatman. 2nd went home to take a nap before going in to work and checked my messages. "you need to come in as soon as possible, the truss plat caught fire and they need all the mangers here." Glad I got that call before the Stress Test! I have spent the last severl days working trying to get the plant up and Working. We lost all of our robert saws and power to 1/2 the building. But we are cutting the wood the old fashion way and are building trusses. WHAT A WEEK, I NEED SOME GSMNP Time.