PDA

View Full Version : new orvis rod

billyspey
09-18-2007, 09:15 PM
i hear the new orvis rod is awsome, with the new carbon fiber tube and a healthy 750 bucks price tag. designed by the warehouse guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they say it cast like a dreamin 9ft. 5wt. 4 piece . wonder how it fishes?

Paula Begley
09-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Our Orvis rep, Dave Hayward was here yesterday and I cast that rod. It is pretty incredible. Their new lines rock as well. With both the 8wt and the 5 wt you mentioned, I was able to cast a considerable amount of line without even hauling.

They are a beautiful rod too, the reel seats are gorgeous and they are super light. If I remember correctly the 8wt is like 3 oz. Sweet.

Paula

Byron Begley
09-19-2007, 10:30 AM
From what I understand the design job was given to four guys who work in the rod shop in Vermont. They started with a blank piece of paper. The design crew was made up of "New Thinkers" and were asked to design the lightest rod ever. I think this is going to be a huge step for Orvis. Paula and I have been in the rod shop two times after it was completely re-tooled at a very large cost. Without that new shop and all the custom made equipment I don't think they could have pulled this off. The guy who is in charge of all manufacturing for Orvis, including the rod operation is an engineer graduate from the University of Tennessee.

Byron