PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork Releases?

doghaircaddis
09-19-2007, 08:26 PM
What's up with the Caney Fork? I see 0 generators from midnight to midnight...looks suspect.

Realtyman
09-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Could be that they've got the ......... .......... ........ sluice.......... ...... gates........... open.

24/7 for the next 6 weeks!!!!

Totally screwed up my day, month, and next month.

Looks like the places East of here may be getting some visitors!

None of this has been confirmed by me personally. I know of 4 guys that were wading today. Now one of 'em, I wouldn't believe nothing he said, but now the other 2, it was to early for them to be hitting the bottle.:biggrin:

doghaircaddis
09-19-2007, 09:25 PM
I suppose that means it's unfishable? Does this dam release have anything to do with dam repairs?

It's been 2 months since I fished the Caney and was hoping to this weekend.

Realtyman
09-19-2007, 09:37 PM
1500cfs of water, around the clock. If you come down this way bring streamers. May take a few days for the fish to adjust. Good luck wading, it can be done, but everything will be about 1500cfs different for awhile.

Heck, the fish are still in there, good size fish too, but who knows what will happen with them. Maybe they will like it. But from the reports I'm getting-the water temps will actually rise because the sluice gate's intake is not down where the cold water is.

Thank god they waited till after the dry hot summer to pull the lake down. I would hate to see another incident like Wolf Creek where they pulled the lake down and then had no water left to generate for the fish. Hope they learned better. Time will tell. See ya on the water!

RM

doghaircaddis
09-19-2007, 10:07 PM
This is good info. Thanks!

Grumpy
09-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Don't write the Caney off yet, wading is still a possibility, ya just have to be careful, there will actually be some flow instead of the laidback fishing we've become accustomed to.
NOW, 3 years ago they killed the river running the sluice by itself, better fish it hard & fast, it's liable to do the same again:mad:
I'd rather see 1 unit running than the sluice by itself!!!!!!!!!

Grumpy

Realtyman
09-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I agree with whatever Grumpy said. He's done forgot more about the Caney than I'll ever know.

I got into fly fishing before I met him, but I didn't get serious about it untill after he put me on a good rod. Or was that Leo? Can't remember and it doesn't matter. They've always treated me and LRM the best.

snaildarter
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
This is a double post, since there are 2 threads concerning the Caney right now. Check out this article about its sluice gate being open:

link (http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070921/NEWS01/709210411)

The issue is apparently water quality in the upper reaches of Old Hickory Lake.

Mr. Mike
09-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Any input on whether it would be safe and/or effective to fish from a canoe in these water conditions?

I actually enjoy streamer fishing if the fish are cooperating, but I don't want to risk a dunking or worse, and I would appreciate some cooperation from the fish!

Byron Begley
09-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Mr. Mike,

I used to fish the Cany Fork from a canoe a lot. I probably took a lot more chances when I was younger too. I have floated it under full generation only because the high water was unexpected. We would stay in the middle of the river being careful and float down to our takout point. I just think it is too dangerous with a lot of water running. If you tipped over you would be in trouble and maybe lose everything. With no generation I would do it. Right now? No way!

Byron

Mr. Mike
09-21-2007, 07:02 PM
yes, but now it's just partial generation with the sluicing. It's running 1,500 cfs. We only one generator, it's close to 5,000 cfs, so it's sort of in between now.

Realtyman
09-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Just got home from being on the Caney all day.(Friday)

Me and LRM ( my 6yr old son ) floated in a 14' canoe after he got out of school today. The water is not as high as it is when there's one generator flowing. However; the water is at the bottom of all the boat ramps that I checked today. That's at the dam, Happy Hollow, and at Betty's Island. That's higher water than I expected with 1500 cfs.

The sluice gate is going strong 24 hrs a day and that makes a difference. I talked to fisherman all day long both from the bank, on the water, and even afterwards while on top of the dam looking at the water.

Now for what you been wanting to know. How's the fishing? Welcome to BROWNSVILLE! Other than a couple of stockers at the normal walk in spots it was browns, browns, and more browns. Same report from everyone I talked to. This includes flyers, and spinners, as well as bait fishermen.

This is only hearsay, but none of the usual midges, pheasant tails, and so forth would produce a decent fish. I specifically asked if anyone was seeing any rises, working fish, any good "sign" at all? What few that would even comment, said that a few fish busting the top of the water like a bass, was the only "sign" to report.

Now if you want a really good float? I have it from a reliable source, that you gotta yak it,when there's 2 generators wide open!:biggrin:

To all the people that made this report possible: I thank you.

And as for all the fine people I got to meet, and talk with today: Priceless!

snaildarter
09-21-2007, 10:25 PM
I need to clarify that when I said "this is a double post" earlier, that what I meant was that *I* was double posting that link in two different threads. I certainly did not mean to imply that anyone else was double posting. Sorry!

doghaircaddis
09-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Realtyman,

Thanks for the report. How was the water clarity while you were out? Did you see many wade fisherman?

Byron Begley
09-22-2007, 12:43 PM
If it's just partial generation levels I might do it. Obviously it must be OK to float or Realtyman wouldn't take his son. I guess since I'm not there I assumed the water was higher.

Byron

Stonefly
09-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I was planning to go this Tuesday, but didn't intend to take my canoe. Any suggestions as to where the wading would be doable?

Also, if zebra midges aren't the ticket, are we talking boogers? Sink tips?

sb

Realtyman
09-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Disclaimer: Out of respect for a couple of guides that I saw on the water today trying to make a living, I cannot out if respect for them, share what info they passed along to me.

Now for my own personal report: I hit the water at about 11:30am and just now got home! After a hard day of fly fishing, I don't have much good news to share. For unknown reasons, the water is still on the rise. The flows are the same at 1500cfs but the river is filling up with water.

I fished streamers and buggers most of the day. I fished white, cinnamon, black, brown, orange, and one that's called a thin mint that looks like a peacock. I fished a floating line, a sink-tip line. I fished clousers, deceivers, and mini-deceivers in several different color variations. Very few strikes and no hookups what so ever!

I know of 3 guys that threw large streamers from the dam to Happy Hollow with little success. I tried to throw nymphs, but the current is so swift that it was almost impossible.

The only hookups I had all day, came from where the river widens out and I fished in the slower moving water. I tried wading with little success. the anchor in the canoe saved the day. I could park the canoe just outside the main flow and fish the slower water off to one side.

Olive beadhead flash- a- bugger size 8, on the end of about 12' of leader and tippet, with a lead weight about 8" up from the bugger. :biggrin: It's tough right now.

Mr. Mike
09-22-2007, 11:48 PM
I floated from happy hollow to the old stone bridge down near gordonsville today in a canoe. It's no problem floating at these water levels. I pounded streamers all day, 2 at a time most of the time, usually a big black conehead up front with a size 10 or so olive bugger dangling 18 inches or so behind. It's a mess to cast, but I like to double my chances. I landed 4 decent fish in 4 hours of fishing, hooked up 3-4 other times but lost 'em and missed a couple of strikes. So, ok action, but nothing special.

With respect to wading, I'd say don't bother. I saw a few guys trying, but they were in almost up to their noses, and still didn't seem to have more than about 100 feet of water they could fish. If you have an itch that just MUST be scratched, of the wading access points I passed, Betty's seemed to have the most area you could fish. But, seriously, I'd find a smallmouth stream, a pond, go dove hunting or just watch some football before I'd bother with wading at these water levels.

anyway, it's good to see the corps taking care of the resource by doing the sluicing and if you can figure out a way to fish it from a boat, it's fun and the fishing wasn't bad.

Stonefly
09-23-2007, 12:10 PM
anyway, it's good to see the corps taking care of the resource by doing the sluicing...

I'm told the reason for the sluicing is to keep the water temp low enough to cool the equipment at Gallatin Steam Plant. Nothing to do with fish.

sb

Grumpy
09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
To early for streamers, midges & nymphs worked great all weekend, DEEP:biggrin:

Grumpy

Realtyman
09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks for jumping in here Grumpy. I knew what was working, but it was your info, so you should be the one to tell it.

I can't believe you didn't tell me about the new Orvis Helios that ya'll were trying out:biggrin: