PDA

View Full Version : Water levels

bcunnin1
09-20-2007, 11:49 AM
How long does it take for the water on the clinch to rise down at the church after they turn on 1 generator?

RuningWolf
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
How long does it take for the water on the clinch to rise down at the church after they turn on 1 generator?

5.5 hours if there was no pulse. It can come much quicker depending on the size and length of the pulse TVA does every 12 hours. Lately the one-hour pulse has been realistically a 2 hour pulse which results in the rise occurring around 4-4.5 hrs latter

Backcountry FF
09-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey Ben,

I think if it is more than a short pulse as the case is today, it takes about 6 hours. If you check out the Clinch River chapter of Trout Unlimited, I think they have a pretty detailed chart if memory serves.

I was contemplating trying it after work today, but the limited time at the church just wouldn't be worth it. Earlier in the week I know TVA wasn't kicking on the gens until 3pm. No such luck yesterday or today.

Be careful.

Backcountry FF
09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Looks like Running Wolf and I were typing at the same time. His advice is more sound than mine. I just looked at the CRTU chapter website and the chart is still there.

RuningWolf
09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Looks like Running Wolf and I were typing at the same time. His advice is more sound than mine. I just looked at the CRTU chapter website and the chart is still there.

I keep it at my keyboard

The pulse if you look at the part of TVA’s site that gives the flow and times has been many times lately running around 2 hrs and at much higher flows than in the past. I could check some of my records and be more precise.

In years past the pulse would be nice as you know the fishing gets slow during this time of the year (even for the bait and spin fishermen) due to the clarity, temperature, fishing pressure, etc. the pulse would stir up enough invertebrates to get the fish to feeding more actively and less selectively. It would not cover the shoals now a large part shoals are under water and the invertebrate activity slows.