PDA

View Full Version : River Cleanup Townsend


Byron Begley
09-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Maybe it would be a good idea for TU to organize a river cleanup in Townsend. This might also serve as a goodwill service to the landowners on the river. With increased use of the river for fishing and other sports, I think that might ease some tension. We could notify all landowners on the river that we are planning a cleanup and they could call me if they don't want their property involved. That would be an opportunity for me to get to know them. Just a thought.

Byron

Gerry Romer
09-24-2007, 12:38 AM
...they could call me if they don't want their property involved. That would be an opportunity for me to get to know them. Just a thought.

Byron

There you go... sticking your neck out there and laying it right on the chopping block again :biggrin: .

Whatta guy!!

Gerry

tennswede
01-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Byron!

If you still are interested, let me know what you think about the new FFF being involved in this. I'm trying to build momentum for a fall cleanup somewhere along the river and It could be in Townsend. I would like to make it a morning clean up and maybe a noon lunch and then fish somewhere on the river for the evening. I would suggest September the latest. Let me know what you think?

Byron Begley
01-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Hans,

I think this would be a good idea. It might help ease some angler/landowner tension here in town. We could contact each landowner. If they didn't want us on their property they could contact me. Otherwise we'll be wading down the stream picking up trash.

Byron

Vern
01-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Hans, I have contacted Scott Weber MTFF President and he thinks it sounds like a good Idea. I will hopefully present it to the club next month. One question I have, do we want to do the weekend of Trout Fest where people are already coming into town or pick another weekend to avoid Trout Fest so we don't conflict with them. I made my first trip during Oct. last year and after fighting the traffic for 4 days I think Oct. would be hard to do.

tennswede
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks Byron, I'm going to try to push for this through our club to see how many who would be interested. Vern seem to have good connections in Mid Tennessee, this could be a fun and worthwhile project. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your great service and Daniel helped me tremendously when I began my fly tying adventure. I'll probably see you all Saturday again. Can't stay away.

Byron Begley
01-14-2008, 11:45 AM
I talked to Joe Hatton yesterday from the Little River Chapter of TU. He and I had originally discussed this cleanup as a TU project. We decided to wait until the fall of 2008 so I could find out more about land ownership issues. He was happy to hear that it will probably happen. You can probably count on the Little River Chapter as a partner.

I also spoke to Townsend's Mayor, Shannon Skidmore about the cleanup this morning. He owns the dumpster company in town. He said he would donate the dumpsters and haul the trash away and place 3 or 4 of them in strategic locations near the river. He also said the city would donate the trash bags. He thinks the landowners would be happy for us to do this and it wouldn't cause any problems.

Byron

tennswede
01-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Thank you Byron, I'm going to run this by our club next month and Vern over in middle tennessee will run it by them over that way. If we can get two FFF clubs and Little River TU involved we should be able to have a good turnout. If we can get some small lunch and then on to fishing we might make it a real event. I'm really looking forward to this. I'll let you know when we get closer to a decision made at the club.

Byron Begley
01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
We could probably use the Pavillion at the Townsend Visitors Center for the picnic and Media Press Conference after the cleanup. Hans, I can't wait to see you on television.

Byron

tennswede
01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Wait a minute now, me on TV, that would be a scary sight!

nvr2L8
01-14-2008, 10:37 PM
There has been some discussion about having a cleanup day in the Smokies as well. Would that tie in with this event or is this strictly a Townsend deal? Count me in for either.

tennswede
01-14-2008, 11:09 PM
This would probably be in Townsend, check with TU for inside the park. TU Little River Chapter (Maryville), does one every year in March or thereabouts.

jaysonalexander4
01-14-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm still sort of new to all this, but I'd like to help out with this river clean up Mr. Begley. I'd really like to get involved in TU and the Fly Fishing Federation, but I don't know if i'm old enough. I'm 14 and alot of my time is taken with Boy Scouts. But if there's any way you know I could get involved and do the clean up on the river, I'll take any suggestions.
Jayson Alexander

Vern
01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Great to see how much this is growing. I have made contact with MTFF and I am goning to bring it up at our next meeting. Do we have a tenitive date?

Flyfishjeep
01-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I am interested in the clean up. What a great way to show our support of the area, and the place that means so much to us.

tennswede
01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Don't really have a date down but I would prefer late September for some cooler days if at all possible. The date is something we are going to have to discuss and potentially vote on.

Byron Begley
01-15-2008, 06:31 PM
I was in a Convention and Visitors Bureau meeting this afternoon. Mark Chipperfield who runs the KOA Campground was there. He is also a Townsend City Commissioner. I told him about the cleanup. He said to let him know if there is anything he can do to help. He said we could put a dumpster on their property.

Byron

Byron Begley
01-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Jayson,

You are old enough. We have had people your age help in lots of TU Projects in the past. One of the original members of the Little River Chapter of Trout Unlimited was 15 when we formed. He is a guide in Key West now. His name is Drew Delashmit and he is a frequent visitor to this message board. He turned 30 last week. Jason Everbach was younger than you when he started helping with TU projects. Bring your mom or dad or both. And if they don't mind, call me Byron.

Byron

sammcdonald
01-15-2008, 08:05 PM
just let me know when and where to show up.....i'll get the day off and join in
sam

Vern
01-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Byron, Do you think we could get the KOA to offer a discount for the weekend of the cleanup? I know that several of the MTFF members are car campers and it would be nice to offer a discount for people traveling from long distance. Elkmont is great but after a river clean a hot shower would be nice.

Byron Begley
01-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Sam,

We would be glad to have you. You will find the date and time here.

Vern,

I'll ask Mark. I sure they would. It's a slow month in Townsend. He's a good guy and told me to ask him if there was anything he could do.

Byron

Vern
01-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks Byron, that may add to the incentive to get people to make the trip.

Hiker14, I don't know where you are located but if you are close you might ask your troop if they would like to help in someway.

tennswede
01-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Vern and everyone else, if I run this by our local FFF club in Knoxville and the TU Little River Chapter and if it sounds like we have enough people interested (which it does), we need to sit down and discuss a time frame. I'm thinking September what is everyone else thinking? I don't want to compete with TU when they do their clean up on Little River inside the park. They do theirs in March which I did last year and which I'm planning on doing this year again.

I'm thinking several organizations in this are will do spring clean up stuff. I think therefore a late summer early fall deal would be better. Input anyone?

smokyfisher
01-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Hans

I think that would be good, that will be after all the tubers have gone.
See you on Saturday?

Dave

Vern
01-17-2008, 09:15 AM
September would work the best, August is busy do to families getting that last vacation in before school, and Oct I learned last year is traffic from H***. The only thing we need to work around is Troutfest.

Byron Begley
01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
I have discussed this with a some people around town. Our Mayor, Shannon Skidmore who owns the dumpster company and agreed to help us also owns the largest tubing company here. He thinks September is best. Also, Mark who runs the KOA agrees. September is a slow time here, the water is usually low and we can do a better job under those conditions. I think we can wade down the river pulling canoes and just toss the trash in the boats. Then pull up to a dumpsters and unload.

I'll make sure all the media is here to interview Hans.:biggrin:

Byron

Vern
01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Sorry Troutfest is in May, sometimes I get brain dead. September is the most logical choice. UT Home Games may effect the turn out. I personaly may have a conflict due to a charity Golf turn. I usually help run. But just like this I don't the confirmed date yet.

Byron Begley
01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I think we should start at the "Y" inside the Park. At that time of year there is a lot of trash there. I guess it depends on how many of us show up. We would need to notify the Park Service.

Byron

tennswede
01-18-2008, 09:33 AM
I excited about everyone's involvement. Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I don't know about me being on TV though. I don't think everyone is going to appreciate a "furriner" with a funny mix of southern drawl and swedish being on their local news. I got my citizen papers but somehow my accent can't cooperate. LOL.

Vern
01-18-2008, 09:42 AM
I just got an Email from Scott Weber President of MTFF and he said that the board dicussed it and this sounds like something the club would like to do. They want to give me the floor at next months meeting to give some of the details. Byron I was think that it would be a good Idea to have a location where the differant clubs and any sponsors could hang their banners or signs during the clean up. If we had some frontage somewhere where we could advertise what we are doing, maybe a banner with LITTLE RIVER FALL CLEAN UP and then grouped around it the clubs and sponsors could put up thier banners.

tennswede
01-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Vern, thanks for all the enthusiasm and help on this. I'm sure Byron will be able to come up with something for an information area of sorts. I'm going to run this by our FFF club on February 12th. I guess we need to have some kind of general consensus on this. It sounds like we can agree on mid to late September as the time frame. Byron is basically rounding up all the businesses and I guess I'm trying to get volunteers from our FFF club. Vern is handling the mid TN crowd. It sounds like Byron have a loose commitment from Joe Hatton and some folks at TU in Maryville. I'm a member of that chapter and I'm going to see what I can do with those folks. In the meantime..........

Vern
01-20-2008, 12:12 AM
I am a member of the Cumberland Chapter of TU. But have never attended a meeting. The wife and family made me draw a line on the number of meetings I attend each month. But if someone this board is an attending member that could bring it up before the Cumberland chapter maybe we could get some of them to attend. I will also talk to Steve Sykes at Game Fair ltd. to help spread the word.

Vern
02-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I presented the clean up to MTFF Wed night. There seems to be several intrested. Our Sepetember outing is Sept 26-28th. So, If the river clean up was around the 13 or 14th would work better for MTFF. the sooner we find a firm date the better for us travling a long way.

tennswede
02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Vern!

Many thanks for running this by your club. I will run it by the Knoxville Club this coming Tuesday. I will suggest September 13th. I would think a 9 AM start time would be about right. We can nail the details later. I'm going to ask for a commitment from our club on Tuesday.

Thanks again.

tennswede
02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Vern!

I ran it by our club on Tuesday. We are going to be behind it. I told them that we should shoot for September 13th. I guess I will need to contact Byron to see more about all the details. I'm thinking we will need to wait a little closer to the time before we can get all the details. If you let me know if it looks like september 13 is the day you all can come then we can go from there.

Thanks,

Vern
02-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Hans, Sept 13 is a good date for us. Can promise how many will show up, but I will push it. Thanks for the hard work Hans.

tennswede
03-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Vern!

I sent an email to Byron to see about our next step on this. We are shooting for the Sept 13 date. As soon as I hear from Byron I will let you know.

Thanks,

Byron Begley
03-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Hans,

I haven't checked my e-mail in two or three days. Sorry. I did talk to Joe Hatton this morning. He and I both think you should talk to Jeff about this. I am meeting with the Mayor on Wednesday on another matter. I'll give him the date. Did you check to see if UT has a home game that weekend?

Byron

tennswede
03-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Byron!

I know you are a busy man, don't worry about my emails. I prefer emails sometime because it's hard to get hold of anyone on the phone anymore. I figure you get to it eventually. It still a long way off. I just wanted to make sure we keep it alive so to speak. If I have understood it correctly UT doesn't have a game at all that weekend. I understand that can of course change.

I would greatly appreciate it if you can get some feedback from the townspeople in your wonderful little town. In the meantime, I will talk to Jeff next time I see him at a meeting. I'm assuming you are referring to Jeff Hall, right?

Thanks for your help, and let's hope the sun comes back so I can drive over to Townsend and buy some gear I don't need. LOL.

Byron Begley
03-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Hans,

I do mean Jeff Hall. I always check and answer e-mails. I get a couple from customers every day and from other people too. I've been covered up the last three days with work.

Shannon our Mayor owns the dumpster company in town. He is going to place a few in strategic areas on the river. Mark who runs the KOA said we could put one at his campground on the river. My thinking is we can drag canoes from the "Y" down to the end of town and fill them up then stop at a dumpster and unload. Shannon will haul off the garbage at no charge. I'll need to talk to the people at the Old Mill Campground about portaging around.

We will notify all landowners that we are coming through. I don't think anyone will object. We should also have the a Daily Times reporter and maybe Chanel 10 on the scene. We can finish off with a cookout at the Visitor's Center Pavillion.

These are just my thoughts.

Byron

Vern
03-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Hans & Byron There seems to be a lot of interest From MTFF. I have attended the last two meetings and it has been brought at booth meetings. Byron I was in the shop Sunday and didn't see you around, but Daniel and Bill took good care of me. Coming Back up this week end and staying until Tuesday for a family trip, I am going to try and swing by the shop If I can.

Byron Begley
03-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi Vern,

I was upstairs working most of last weekend. Please come up and find me if I'm not downstairs anytime you are in the shop. I'm glad MTFF is interested in this project. I've been a member of that club for decades. I'm a life member so I guess that means I always will be. The cleanup will be fun and we need to plan a cookout. I'm looking forward to seeing you this weekend. I promise, I'll be there.

Byron

tennswede
03-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Vern/Byron!

I haven't forgot about it. I will talk to Jeff Hall at LRCTU next week if I see him there. I'm going to tell him that we are shooting for September 13, at 9 AM. I'm trying to get them to officially commit. If they do we have two FFF clubs and one TU chapter. I'm hoping we can reach some other organizations also. Any ideas feel free to shout.