PDA

View Full Version : saltwater fisherman all but lost

tomwicker
09-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Greetings from South Alabama

I would first like to introduce myself my friends call me Tom. Iím an avid fishing fool but with one drawl back I am a salt water fisherman as I live on the Coast not much fresh water around here worth fishing. I love to dive and spearfish, Iím also a Nature Photographer

I have been keeping an eye on your forums for a few weeks now and found it to be very informative and helpful. There is not much I can contribute to the forum as saltwater is about all I know unless anyone is headed this way

After talking over some vacation time with my family we all agreed to try out the hills of Tennessee around the Smoky Mountains preferably away from the tourist as we have to live with them daily here. We could use some help on a few things if the members here have the time to help

First and most important is my tackle I donít think what I have will do me much of any good fresh water fishing ;o) I do have a 5/6 fly rod but thatís about it. I could use some advice on line,leader,ect. As for flies dose Little River here sell a box assortment of flies that are in season or a list would be of help where I can order some. We were looking at cabin rentals but my daughter wants to use her tent. So how about a safe family campground close to a nice fishing hole for the middle part of next month.
Any help would be appreciated
Tom Wicker
Gulf Shores AL

David Knapp
09-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the board! If you're coming up during the middle of next month, be prepared for LOTS of tourists. That time of year is really bad normally because of the fall colors. If you want to stay anywhere near the park during that time, I would make reservations now...

About flies for fishing, if you stop by LRO, they can set you up with a good selection of whats working. They can set you up with anything else you need as well...

Gerry Romer
09-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the board, Tom!

You're likely to get flooded with requests for saltwater info:smile: . It seems that a large number of board members head south to try their hand at saltwater fly fishing.

As to your questions...

Go back to the beginning. Not being a smart a$$ here. Go to the Fishing Report Page and scroll down the left hand side. In the gray box on the side you will find some very helpful links. There's a link to a daily list of what flies are working. There's also a link to a page that Byron put together that presents some good solid advice and tips on how to fish the Smokies.

If you haven't experienced the Fishing Report Page yet, you're in for a real treat ;) . Byron ( who is also an avid saltwater fly fisherman ) writes a daily report on fishing in the Smokies and some of the east Tennessee tailwaters, lakes, and rivers.

One last thing. This board has a great search function. Usually, you can easily find threads on most any fly fishing related ( and some not ) topics with just a few key words. This board has been very active and the archives are loaded with some great info.

Poke around a bit more and enjoy!

Gerry Romer

PeteCz
09-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I'd like to second Gerry's comment about the "search" function. There is almost two years of great reports, comments and advice. If you want to check out all of the posts for a particular stream just click on the search link and enter the stream name and out pops lots of info.

If you want an exact name, enclose it in quotes like "deep creek" That will narrow down your choices to only those threads that mention Deep Creek.

Welcome and Enjoy!

Paula Begley
09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi Tom! Welcome! Byron and I love saltwater fly fishing! Hope you find some really helpful stuff here...

Paula

Backcountry FF
09-25-2007, 02:52 PM
tomwicker,

I used to make a living teaching people to scuba dive. When you spearfish, do you freedive or use scuba?

I have done quite a bit of spearfishing in South Florida and the Bahamas, but never have made it to the gulfcoast. I may have to pick your brain sometime about dive operators.

Anyway, welcome to the board!

tomwicker
09-25-2007, 10:22 PM
tomwicker,

I used to make a living teaching people to scuba dive. When you spearfish, do you freedive or use scuba?

I have done quite a bit of spearfishing in South Florida and the Bahamas, but never have made it to the gulfcoast. I may have to pick your brain sometime about dive operators.

Anyway, welcome to the board!

Thanks all for the helpful replies Iím not to computer savvy but I did find my way around.

Charles it is always nice to meet another fellow diver. I do most of my spear fishing by scuba. Here along the Alabama and Florida panhandle we have no natural reefs but what we do have is an abundance of man made reefs hundreds of old army tanks barges and wrecks. The biggest part are in water of 100fsw plus.

Our local shops and divers are big on trying to build a habitat which will keep and abundance of fish here along our coast. We have accomplished a title of the Red Snapper of the world which I do realize that is a mighty big boost. As you may have heard by now we now have the mighty ďOĒ placed just off our beaches and she is the largest artificial reef yet to be sunk. The marine life has taken up resident on her more than expected. She is even bringing in some Whale Sharks!!! She among others are loaded with all types of Snapper, AJíS, Trigger fish, Barracudas, and many colorful tropical

Anytime your ready Give me a shout and Iíll pass along any info you may need
Tom Wicker