PDA

View Full Version : Norris Lake Water Levels

jeffnles1
09-25-2007, 01:25 PM
I know this is not trout related. My wife and I are going to be spending a long weekend on Norris Lake the second week of October.

What's the water level like on the lake? Is it low or about normal?

How low is low? (i.e. boat ramps and docks dry or just a little low?).

Thanks,
Jeff

RuningWolf
09-25-2007, 04:11 PM
The lake level will probably be 990 or lower depending on rainfall amounts throughout the valley between now and then. There are lots of docks that will soon if they are not already unable to let you launch a boat especially on the upper end. What part are you going to?

Flying Trout
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
We drove by Anderson County Park 2 days ago and you are still able to launch a boat from there. Be carefull of points. Norris has many rocky ledges that shoot out and dirt ledges so pay special attention to what you are doing. When you are going fast stick to the middle and do not cut corners. The lake is just about at winter pool.

RuningWolf
09-25-2007, 07:30 PM
In years gone by the TVA guide was to lower the level to 975 to 985 in the winter. Now they keep it at higher levels around 995 as the target low level.

There is a point in here that some islands in the main channel come out most are in the headwaters. However there is one between Pt. 5 and the Dam and a few in the mouths of some of the coves as well in the lower end

For the most part staying to the middle of the channel and watching for off colored water which can signal a island about to emerge are very good rules of thumb to observe

jeffnles1
09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what part of the lake. My wife rented a chalet or some type of cabin. LaFollet exit I believe she said.

It's going to be more of a weekend family get away than anything else. I don't have a boat, just wanted to get away for a weekend. Heck, we may even make it into the park for some fishing. I think LRO is about an hour or hour and a half drive which isn't bad. I routinely drive that far to go fishing.

With the water level this low, is there any sense in trying to fish from shore anywhere in the lake?

Thanks,
Jeff

RuningWolf
09-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes shore fishing can be very good in the fall. Spoons, doll flies, Rapalas, etc. can catch bass, crappie, the occasional walleye or catfish. Fish the rocky points or shore lines that do not have steep drop offs. Those will be easy to spot

Be aware there is a decent population of copperheads around the Lake so be on the alert.

Travel time to LRO can vary from there. Some of the “Rental” places are 30 min off the main drag. Traffic can be as such that it can take 30-45 minutes to travel the 15 miles or so through town (Interstate exit through Lafollette) depending on when you catch go through. From the Interstate it is probably 1.5 hrs to LRO

Caryville the 1st community you go through off the Interstate is a notorious speed trap drive the speed limit not 2 miles over but the speed limit

jeffnles1
09-25-2007, 11:55 PM
RW,
Thanks. Also thanks for the heads up on the speed trap.
Jeff

RuningWolf
09-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Your welcome. I wish I could be of more help.