PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Report Friday Sept 28 and Sat Sept 29

tennswede
09-29-2007, 07:21 PM
I got to the jail on Friday at around noon. I saw maybe four others at a distant. One guy upstream caught maybe three fish while I was there. I managed to get skunked. Not even a strike. I got more rock snot than I care to remember. It was a very difficult day for me. I spoke with two fellows who came out of the river at the same time I did. I think they were from Maryville, they had about the same luck as me. I quit at about 2 pm. The wind was also hard to deal with. In all a somewhat frustrating day but it was a beautiful day.

Today, at Massengill area was more of the same. I begin fishing at 7 Am and I was the only one there besides another fellow upstream from me. I managed to catch one fish on a soft hackle (partridge and green 14). It died down immediately and I saw maybe some olive's coming off about size 24. two hours went by with no fish. Then I had two strikes and then I managed to catch two fish in succession. They were both fairly small and in bad condition. I don't no why with the cold water and all but they were kind of limp. Anyway, I at least didn't get skunked today. Water was a cold 53 degrees. I quit when the water came up at about 11:15 AM. I saw several other fishermen who only stayed for half an hour or so. I guess they are used to more action than you get right now. A tough weekend for sure. The weather has been awesome though but I rather see some rain.

rainshaker
10-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey Hans,

That was us.. you spoke to me along with my friend Bill who lives in Maryville...Tough weekend for sure. We hit Miller's Island as well as the stretch by the jail and had one fish between us after 4 hours. I saw 6 other anglers leaving Miller's about the time we showed-up....I thought maybe generation had started-up but they were probably just as puzzled as we were.

But as you said, the weather was great, and it beat the Hades out of sitting behind a desk on Friday. It was nice to meet you, Hans

UofMontanaAlum
10-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Fished below the dam Sat. from 7-10am and it was SLOW. I only caught 1 little rainbow. Moved down to the jail from 10-12 and caught nothing. Couldn't beat the weather so I can't say the day was a complete bust.

RuningWolf
10-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I got to the jail on Friday at around noon. I saw maybe four others at a distant. One guy upstream caught maybe three fish while I was there. I managed to get skunked. Not even a strike. I got more rock snot than I care to remember. It was a very difficult day for me. I spoke with two fellows who came out of the river at the same time I did. I think they were from Maryville, they had about the same luck as me. I quit at about 2 pm. The wind was also hard to deal with. In all a somewhat frustrating day but it was a beautiful day.

The fishing on the lower end always gets slow this time of year and does not return to normal until spring

monktrout
10-08-2007, 09:45 PM
The jail area is tuff until spring. Couldn't agree more. Midging nearer the dam should improve fishing before Nov.

tennswede
10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I spent the second of the two trips arond Massengill area. It was a little better than the jail area but not much. It was slow all over that weekend.

lar
10-15-2007, 05:20 PM
I fished the Cold Water area on Sunday early morning. It was slow to begin with, but it picked up after the sun hit the water. Caught about 10 fish on a#18 BHPT. Two nice fish about 15" to 16".

monktrout
10-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Good to hear that the Clinch still has some fish downstream. An18 BHPT will almost always come through. Lar, did you suspend it over an indicator, dry fly, or did you swing or drift downstream. I might fish the Clinch Friday if the G schedule cooperating. Thanks

lar
10-16-2007, 04:22 PM
It was about 30" below an indicator, casted up-stream over the riffles and drifted back through. I lost 3 fish that felt bigger than the ones I mentioned. It's always about the ones that got away.

monktrout
10-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks LAR. 30''below the indicator shows them holding low. Hope to get a Clinch report out this weekend. If I can get uo early enough I might go to Miller's Island. Maybe midges will be smutting. Otherwise I'll be above the jail.

lar
10-17-2007, 08:26 AM
I usually get out right about sun up, I like to be in the water when it is less populated. Won't be out this weekend; honey-do list is too long at this point. Email me if you want to plan something in the future- ksfillers01@comcast.net.

Keep your fingers crossed for the Clinch slot limit!

monktrout
10-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Fished the jail section of the Clinch today. Didn't expect much. Lost one fish on an olive bugger. Otherwise no fish. Didn't get up early enough to fish nearer the dam. Also tried some small pt's and brassie configurations. The Elk is fishing well. Any word when the Caney will be back to normal flows?