PDA

View Full Version : Fort Patrick Henry

FFM4LIFE
10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Can anyone give me information on if there is trout fishing below Fort Patrick Henry Lake. If so what species and how is the quality of the fishing?
Thanks!

Hugh Hartsell
10-02-2007, 10:14 PM
FF, there are trout below Fort Patrick Henry Dam. It is hard to access and it is very dangerous. Generation flows are not like the other dams. It is dangerous, both to wade and to float at the upper section just below the dam. Be absolutely sure that you have an experienced person with you if you try to fish this water. Good luck.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

RuningWolf
10-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Both browns and rainbows per the TWRA guide. if memory serves me correctly it is only about 2.7-2.9 miles long

FFM4LIFE
10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Hugh,
Thanks for the advice! If the upper end is dangerous is there a lower end of the river that is not as dangerous to fish?
Thanks

Randy Ratliff
10-03-2007, 08:37 AM

FFM4LIFE
10-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!

FF

kylemc
10-11-2007, 03:30 PM
FFM4LIFE

One gentleman who did try to take his fishing raft down through there ended up ripping a side out of a tube on these rocks.

Are you talking about Scotty Potty Randall? LOL

FFM4LIFE
10-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Does any one know the what flies would be good to use this weekend on ft. Patrick henry?

Randy Ratliff
10-18-2007, 09:07 AM

kebo072
10-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I was told that if the smaller fish are hitting on top, send a midge deep.

That's true on the FPH tailwater. Midges 18-22, black fly larvae are coming off and you can never go wrong with a black zebra midge. WD-40's in olive or black work extremely well.

Any fly shop you talk too will tell you there are no BWO's in FPH, but, I caught the biggest fish I have caught out there on a BWO loop wing emerger. 14 inches, and that was this week. The loop wings I use come from Mountain Sports Unlimited in Bristol. Check'em out.

Griffith gnat and small caddis work well on top. Lately I have noticed the bigger ones are hitting emergers and dries. Haven't caught many small trout either so this weekend might be good fishing.

Also, these fish know how to throw a hook. When you hook one it will jump several times, and thats when you will lose them. Keep the line tight and you will bring him in no problem. Watch out when they try to rut you out also.

As far as the generation flow on start up. They will bump the generators at least once before they go full steam. When you hear them come on, start walking towards the bank. The water will be over your head in a matter of seconds( no joke!). And they are cutting the generators out 30 minutes early.

Maybe I will see you down there. I usually fish the dam side of the bridge. Just look for the goofy guy with his line tangled around his head or missing every third fish.LOL

Good Luck.