PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Kantuck

dalerio
10-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Just thought i would say howdy. i like the site and love reading about fishing the Smokies. i got out of fishing for awhile, new baby, but now it has become my ME time. recharge the batteries. my other hobby turkey call makin has turned into another job.

i started flyfishing about 8 years ago. i wanted a way to wade fish a local creek in the summer and try something new that no one i know does. i fell in love with it. i had to learn to tye cause it was a hassle going to knoxville to buy flies. i have since upgraded my equipment and what used to be a smallmouth creek i fish has in the last couple years been stocked with rainbows i find.

i caught my first trout this year a rainbow. since then i have added a brown (Bark Camp Creek) and a brookie (smokies). i had never been in a fly shop till this summer or thought i would ever pay over a $100 for a fly rod outfit.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/jeffro396/07-05-07_1827-1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/jeffro396/000_0296.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/jeffro396/100_3286.jpg

all was on a 4wt. hobbs creek outfit. the smallmouth was a real fight.

thanks for lookin

dalerio

Byron Begley
10-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Dalerio,

Welcome to the board. I live in Townsend now but I grew up in Kaintuck myself in a place called Boonesborough in Madison County. Where is Four Mile? I think there was an area called Four Mile just down the road from where I lived.

Byron

dalerio
10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks, there is a whole bunch of them.

i am 4 miles north of pineville on 25E in bell county.

David Knapp
10-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the board!!!

Jswitow
10-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I am another Kentuckian, transplanted to Knoxville though. Good to have you! Little depressed over the loss last night though, the bubble had to burst at some point though!
Best,
John

limbsnagger
10-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Welcome, to this board. I'm also from ole Kentuck though I now live in Crossville TN. I grew up in Henderson County out on the western edge of the state. I'm sure you've already found out that this board is alot of fun and a great place to pick up new ideas from some knowledgable folks. I've only been fly fishing about 2 years & still consider myself a beginner but am hardcore @ heart and learn something new every time I'm out.

Have you fished the Cumberland river yet? If not make it must do.

Tight Lines,
Limbsnagger

dalerio
10-06-2007, 12:21 AM
no i haven't, but i better hurry before it's all gone. from what i heard the hatchery is in trouble and that could hurt the stockings state wide. something about the intake being to high for the low water they need to fix the dam.

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/newsletter0207.pdf?lid=1822&NavPath=C129C584

as far as the cumberland in general, i could go outside and hit it with a rock, really good smallmouth water. i fished the tailwater below the laurel river lake dam and was kind of scared. alarm could go off at any moment and 30 ft. rock cliffs on each side of the water with the only way the the way i got in, that i could see anyways. but i did find a couple good spots in the daniel boone national forest on my trip down there.

i am a complete newbie when it comes to trout. i have fly fished for years but the older i get the tougher i want my hobbies, LOL. hatches, bugs, nymphs, it is amazing how much there is to learn. i never was into size, if i wanted to catch a 20" trout there is a local lake and a can of corn.

i caught a largemouth at cannon creek lake on a sz. 14 irresistible that was probaly 4.5-5 lbs. i looked it over and let it go. guys bank fishing freaked out. one guy would not stop till i showed him how to cast a fly rod. i told him mine is the same one they sell at walmart for $20. i didn't aim to catch the bass, i was having to much fun catching bluegills. at the edge of dark they will knock a popper 2' out the water, really cool.

i grew up wading in creeks and fishing them as i go. i gave ultralite fishing a try but it wasn't for me. sneaking down a creek bank on your knees to get into position to cast to a 3lb. smallmouth in water nomore than 10" deep and hooking him and releasing him, that is fun. the small mouth in the pic was caught a month later by a guy i work with and released(ultralite fisherman). i geuss thats why i would like to fish in the smokies. small fish, small water, big time.

dalerio

limbsnagger
10-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Sounds like a pretty tough situation for those trout in the Cumberland. I know there was alot of talk on this board last spring concerning wolf creek dam construction and remember Byron talking about it. However, the article about that bill allowing for more public access to hunting and fishing locals in Kentucky sounded pretty good. I know most of the guys I quail hunted with as a kid had jumped into this get a private lease or never have anywhere to hunt/fish ever again panic back in the 90's. I guess alots'changed since I was a teenager but growing up on farm in an area where everybody hunted and fished and allowed every one else to do the same on eachothers property respectfully kind spoiled me early on. Farmers don't want anyone on property because people shoot cattle, don't close gates behind themselves and some are afraid of getting sued if somebody upsets the bull so that pretty much seemed over these days. But the governers tax break incentives may be able to help the situation some. More access equals more sportsmen in Kentucky which equals revenue which equals "hopefully" more dollars goingto "save the cumberland river trout" types of projects.

I was fishing below the **** last week and it was the first time I've seen the river actually wadeable. The bottom is a real pleasure to wade in and though the low water levels probably arent good for trout they did generate for a while and I was able to wade fish with generation with some caution but it didn't seem dangerous. Some of the fishermen there told me to keep any of the big fish because they weren't really expected to hold over very well. I catch & release mostly but am not immune to eating a couple now and again.

I guess I'll just make the best of the situation at hand and try to enjoy both the trout and wadeable water access bellow the **** while I can. Going to get a heavier fly rod and go after some of those big strippers in there some time. Giant stripers on a fly just sounds like a blast!

Also, I should warn you & family about the fly fishermens path. For me it was go to Wally world get little starter outfit, then you meet some fellas on river somewhere and they let you cast their rod a little and give you some pointers on entomology or some other area,and then your in a fly shop kind of scratching your head and some nice fella starts helping you out a little and mentions things like free seminars and casting clinics or fly tying classess. You'll take them because its fun and then you start catching a few more fish.. This cycle will repeat itself many times. Sart wanting to get more rods. In my case I bought my wife/self a rod for her birthday just to justify doing it and with a little help from Daniel at LRO I even had her hooked into the idea. Before you know it your still learning something new everytime your on the water and you start trying to figure out how to spend more time on water and less time else where. The great ones are able to combine family and water time together. Then if your lucky your one of those guys who notices that new fly angler on the water and the plague spreads on to infinity.

Tight Lines,
Limbsnagger

jeffnles1
10-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi and welcome,
Another Kentucky boy here. I'm from Northern Kentucky.

The post about the progression of fly fishing is sooooo true. I went from a low end St. Croix outfit to a Scott, a Sage, and more flies than I can count and now, I'm looking at fly tying gear (which is most likely going to end up with Byron and Paula getting another sizable chunk of change from me...).

If you ever get to Townsend, I highly recommend stopping in to LRO. Nice folks and while they will help you spend our money, they will, most importantly, help you spend your money wisely.

Jeff

FLYFSN
10-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Welcome, to the board! I am from near Prestonsburg, Ky. I noticed we have some of the same interests, turkey hunting, fly fishing, call making. Shoot me a email, and I will send you some pic's of calls I make. cuttandrun@hotmail.com