PDA

View Full Version : Elk or Duck

dailey624
10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
We are thinking about planning a trip this weekend to one of the streams listed above. Does anyone know which one is fishing better now?
We can use help on which flies to use and what access areas to go to. This advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Justin

heyski
10-10-2007, 06:05 PM
I was at the Elk the last week of September and it was good fishing up by the dam and even better down at Farris Creek. When I was there it was a fish on just about every throw. Were were using hare's ear and scuds and parachute adams. I caught so many that I decide to stop and take some video. You can see it at the bottom of my blog page.

dailey624
10-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the help
I checked out ur page and those are some nice fish. Were any of those caught on the elk or in other rivers?

DALEFISH
10-10-2007, 07:29 PM
i would have stayed on the hiwassee.being from alabama,and beginners at wadind back in 2004,i and my only brother left fished the HI for the first time in late sept. and caught 60plus fish and missed plenty more.all on 2 turbines when nobody else would get in.the second time we fished it proved just as good with no flow and pulses.i like swift water but it takes some skills wading it.both of us troopers and will extend our luck to catch fish(learned from bass fishing).go back and enjoy,its atrout factory.
dalefish

UofMontanaAlum
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM
extend our luck to catch fish

For some reason this doesn't sound smart. :confused:

tennswede
10-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Just be careful on the big HI. I know of several spots you can wade on 2 gen. I also now of places where you can be in serious trouble within seconds even on no generation. I love the big HI but I also respect it tremendously. I don't mean this to be harsh but I know of people who almost drowned and it can be deceiving.

irfishing
10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Justin,
The Elk is the only option for realistic trout fishing now because TWRA will not start stocking the Duck until sometime in November. There may be some carry over fish in the Duck but I think there will be very few.
Everyone I know has had success on the Elk. It should be good, especially if you plan to float.
Good luck.

dailey624
10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.
Esp. thanks to Heyski and Irfishing for the great advice.

Justin,
Everyone I know has had success on the Elk. Good luck.

What flies are everyone using and having this great luck on?

nailman_83
10-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Check out this website

http://www.cafes.net/timpage/

go to Tim's fly shop and talk to him. He will tell you everything you need to know.

monktrout
10-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Fished the Elk today. In spite of wind, fishing still good. Rises to midges, possibly some caddis. Zebra midge, soft hackle brassie,any thing else with a bit of red. Fished near dam. Expect a crowd on the weekend. Midge fishing next to dam can give you room if you can cast futher than me. If you can get on the river early it would help. Farris Bridge is another option. Walk upstream under bridge to get some space. Birds on bridge will cue you in to bugs on water. Duck is not much of a trout option right now. You might catch a variety of bream.

heyski
10-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Just be careful on the big HI......

Please follow this advise. I was there for the first time and they turned on 1 generator. I was standing in a spot that was safe but everything around me got real deep and real fast. If it had been 2 generator I'm not sure what I would have done. Always respect the river. It's bigger and deadlier than you ever will be.