PDA

View Full Version : Another yankee invader...

bluefish
10-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Hello people, I'm another invader, about as useful as rock snot, but grateful for the info that I ve garnered here. Though I reside by the washed out banks of the Battenkill, I fish for trout more often in the soho,watauga and the little rivers. I usually visit once or twice a year and have done so for a decade. One of my favorite people is Randy Ratliff, who has put me on some trout in the tailwaters that are larger than the saltwater fish I avidly pursue. I also have spent many a shiny penny on materials in LRO and have commented that they carry approximately twenty times the materials that the Orvis flagship store in Manchester Vt. has. Unfortunately, the flagship is twenty min. away; LRO 14 hrs. The last time I visited in the end of March, one of the superb salespeople at the store sent me downriver. Walland was a little cold and high for smallies, but, down near the end of the river, I stood on a mud bank and hammered good size white bass, crappies, and a 5 lb. channel cat. I think I freaked out some of the baitfisherman, some of whom had never seen flyfishing done before. Ever the ambassador for our sport, I explained the mechanics to those interested, avoiding the fact that my rod and reel was worth more than most of thier vehicles. Bottom line: we all had fun. Look forward to learning from everyone. Thanks for having me, Charlie

Byron Begley
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Welcome Bluefish,

Glad to have you here. I love your part of the world. I'm also a big fan of the Orvis Flagship Store, of course the Equinox and the town of Manchester. Thanks for the kind words about LRO. I'm building up the fly tying inventory now to get ready for tying season. See you next time you are in town.

Byron

nvr2L8
10-13-2007, 07:01 PM
From one Charlie to another, welcome to the board. Glad to have you regardless of your point of origin. Flyfishers is flyfishers wherever they're from.

Gerry Romer
10-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Welcome to the board! These mountain waters do have a unique pull...

LRO?? They'll suck you in every time. I think I may owe them my firstborn. If it was my firstborn son, I'd be okay since they pretty much own him already.

Gerry

David Knapp
10-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the board!

monktrout
10-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Welcome to the message board. I'm pretty new to these pages myself. Great waters to fish in East TN. The drought has been tough in the south. Hope you get to fish the Cinch and Hiawassee also. LRO is a super shop.Great selection, great people.

Randy Ratliff
10-15-2007, 08:00 AM

canerod
10-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Lived 62 years with-in one hour of the Kill the last 30 with-in five min.I have been down here two years (Mars Hill) and would not go back.Yes Randy is top of the line and when my wrist heals up I hope we will hit the river again.Where are you located Charlie? Dave

bluefish
10-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Lived 62 years with-in one hour of the Kill the last 30 with-in five min.I have been down here two years (Mars Hill) and would not go back.Yes Randy is top of the line and when my wrist heals up I hope we will hit the river again.Where are you located Charlie? Dave
Cambridge. I know who you are, and we have many mutual acquaintances. You obviously don't know me,but I don't fish cane, and keep a low profile. You're old neighbor Pete Brown has worked for me part time since he closed the lower river. Another young fellow who works for me went to school with your son. The battenkill has only gotten worse since you left. Areas like the Georgi and the cabin have filled in and are fishless for most of the season. I look occasionally, but the trophy smallmouth in the hudson are much more my cup of tea. I've fished the davidson, and both the north and south mills in your neck of the woods. I may be coming down in december, if you want I'll get your number from Pete and give you a call . I dream of Rockhold at night...

canerod
10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
I only fish cane because I like to make them. As we all know it is the fisherman not the rod that catches fish.I was up that way near the end of August and was surprised to catch a few of those two year olds they put in the upper river.I fish with another Pete from Salem.The S Ho is some river. Best way to contact me is e-mail. Love to fish with you if you get down this way. dave

mmfarm@ccvn.com