PDA

View Full Version : Hook on Fishing

Skipjack
10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Good Morning All
I am a new member here on the website and just getting into the fly fishing sport. I started bass fishing with my Dad when I was four years old. When I reached my teens he taught me how to use a fly rod to catch bream and bass on our small pond, but I have never fished for trout on a small stream. My family and I are coming to the Smokies for Thanksgiving to relax and do some fly fishing. Do any of you have any suggestions on the type of waders to use ( chest or waist )and where are some of the better places to fish for a beginner? My son and I are the ones who will actually be fishing. Any help will be appreciated.
Have a great day
Bill

Gerry Romer
10-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the board, Bill!

If things don't change around here pretty soon, you won't need waders to fish, just some sturdy hiking boots with good ankle protection. I went hiking in the East Prong of the Little River this past Sunday morning and it is a very depressing sight. When I saw Paula at the store the next day I told her it looked like someone just decided to turn off the faucet... there's just no water there anymore.

I guess the bright side is that if you've ever really wanted to learn how to "read" a stream, now would be the time. You can easily see all of the bottom structure because it's all exposed. You wanna know where a channel is?? where it's headed?? where the likely holds are?? Pretty easy right now... all you have to do is imagine that rocky trail filled with water.

Hard to believe that Thanksgiving is only 5 weeks away! It can still be fairly warm here as late as Thanksgiving - highs in the low 50's with overnight lows in the low 40's - so if we catch a break with the rain, you might be able to get some fishing in. Just keep watching Byron's fishing report and poke around here a bit more. The "search" tool on this message board can be quite helpful, too.

Gerry

Skipjack
10-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to Arkansas this weekend to fish the White River to get some practice before my family and i come to the Smokies. I am renting some waders over there. I wonder if I can rent some hip waders somewhere in Townsends or just use my hiking shoes. We are in a severe drought here in Jasper Alabama. I fish Smith Lake which is a deep clear lake year round just outside Jasper. The lake is down 25 feet now and still falling. We are planning to fish somewhere in Townsend. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Bill

nvr2L8
10-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Bill,

First of all, welcome to the board! Glad to have you.:smile:

As for suggestions on places to fish, look under the Smoky Mountain Fishing section of this message board, at the following couple of threads:
Good spot for newbie and son (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9278) and
Need help finding gaintfish first trout on a fly. (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9272)

Both of these threads have some good suggestions and all are relatively close to the Townsend area. As an alternate suggestion, stop by Little River Outfitters in Townsend and the folks there will be glad to point out on their handy-dandy fishing stream maps where the good fishing is at the time. As Gerry mentioned, most of the Smokies streams are pretty sad looking now but there is thankfully some rain in the near term forecast.

Look forward to having you fishing on our streams - hopefully, they will be in some better shape by the time you get here.