PDA

View Full Version : fishing alone

lauxier
10-19-2007, 02:29 PM
I used to feel like fishing was a group activity,the more the merry-ier.I read an earlier post to the LRO forum,stating as he got older he liked fishing alone.At 57,I find fishing alone ,the only way I like to fish.If other folks come along,they tend to get on my nerves,especially if they are talky or new to fly fishing.I finish the day stressed out and tired.I came for peace and quiet,time to sort a thing or two out in my mind,get all Zen-ed out with nature etc.If it is not like this,I feel cheated and depressed.You may feel this all sounds selfish and abnormal because lot's of people don't feel right unless they are part of as crowd,which is fine,but to me the term"Mountain Fishing" implies blending in with mama nature,alone but not lonely,where time spent flyfishing,catching a trout or two,make you realize ,all those sublime thoughts that rest and refresh you are gifts to you from this place.

Jack M.
10-19-2007, 03:53 PM
I prefer to fish alone and did exclusively for my first several years of fly fishing. Every now and again a few people who I've made acquaintance with on a FF message board will get together to share the drive to the stream, particularly longer drives. It makes the drive go faster and cheaper. When we get to the water, we'll usually split up, but sometimes staying within earshot or sight so we can tease eachother about slapping the water or missing takes, etc. This is much easier to pull off on bigger water. On small streams, you tend to get in each others' ways. There is something to be said about enjoying the day with other anglers, but 9 times out of 10, I prefer to fly solo.

flydoc
10-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Just a reminder that it's always a good idea to bring a partner with you on the remote streams. It's awfully easy to slip and twist an ankle, break a leg, or crack your head on a rock. After a bad fall one year in the gorge above the Chimneys picnic area I don't think I would have made it out without my friend helping me out. It would have been a long, cold wait for someone to come by and find me.

lauxier
10-19-2007, 04:38 PM
you are right flydoc---I was talking about roadside areas,places relatively easy to get to--

Chuckwalla
10-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I've always preferred to fish alone. I know the risks and it's always in the back of my mind. I know wife would would like it better if I didn't.

David Knapp
10-20-2007, 02:35 PM
I generally fish alone. The risks of fishing alone are always in the back of my mind but I don't dwell on it and it has never really bothered me. I'll do solo daytrips up to around 15 miles roundtrip and never think twice about it. I've done solo trips in grizzly country and mountain lion country and so the Smokies seem relatively tame to me. Solitude is often part of the experience I want to have while on the stream but sometimes I prefer company, especially on bigger water. The nice thing about fishing with others is that you have a better chance of getting dialed in to the best methods for that day.:cool:

nvr2L8
10-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Over most of my experience of fishing, my preference has been to fish alone. Besides the solitude and peace of being out there by yourself, there's the ability to fish at your own pace without worrying about whether you're running off without your partner or holding them back.

However, I'm learning that fishing with a partner has benefits beyond just the safety factor. Being able to share the thrill of a nice catch, figuring out what's working or not working for your partner as well as just enjoying the company on the stream all have big payoff.

So while I am naturally a loner on the stream, I'm learning the benefits of a co-fisher. And my wife is happier.

tennswede
10-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Ah! Youth, I used to fish the Chimneys, Greenbriar, heck all of em' by myself. I still like to fish solo occasionally but I tell you, I took a nasty fall in the gorge on Greenbriar in 2003. I cracked a rib and had to crawl on all four rod in hand through the rhododendron up the steep ridge. Anyone who fished that area know what a pain that is. I was worried about snakes and I could hardly breathe because of the pain. I drove him leaning to one side so If a cop would have stopped me they would have definitely suspected DUI.

I got him and man the pain was intense. I concealed it from my wife and it tooka bout six weeks before I could breathe right. It took two years before I felt right in my rib cage. needless to say, lesson learned and now I carry a staff at all times. I guess turning 40 will also have an impact.

Enjoy while you can we all get to the point when something will happen so we decide to slow down and think. I don't recommend any solo trip outside of road access anymore. I probably will do one or two solo trips anyway against better knowledge.

jeffnles1
10-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Normally, I fish alone. I like to move fast and cover a lot of water. Now that my son is into fly fishing, I like to fish with him. When he's not with me, I usually fish alone. There are a couple guys I fish with a few times a year, but them and my boy are the only folks I fish with on a regular basis.

I'n not at all anti-social it's just not many people like to fish the way I do. If I found someone who loves to fly fish, likes to cover a lot of water and likes to save a lot of the chit chat for the drive to, from, and at dinner after, I'd love to have another fishing partner. My boy is my perfect fishing partner!

Jeff

flyman
10-20-2007, 11:46 PM
I use to do alot of fishing and backpacking alone. Now days though I like to fish with my son and his friends, and few good friends. I enjoy meeting and fishing with new friends to, as long as they are pretty women:biggrin:

pharmtechfisher
10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
It's really strange that this discussion started when it did. I was just having a disagreement with someone about this issue. I was saying that I don't mind fishing alone when I am near the road or a populated area. On the other hand, I would rather have company when I'm deeper into the mountains (back country sites, etc..). I do agree, however, that it seems much easier to fish without someone because I, like jeffnles1 and many others, like to cover more area.

Waterborn
10-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I usually fish solo 'cause it just works out that way and I'm a fairly private person but i don't mind the right company...fishing with the right like-minded flyfishing buddy can be like fishing with ones self and the camaraderie at the end of the day can be a great extension to the trip...

Chuckwalla
10-22-2007, 09:42 AM
There is a great thread over on SEFFF that sums up how I feel, in words that I could never write:

Why?... (http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/why-do-do-t20741.html)

txbrown
10-22-2007, 08:27 PM
I am very fortunate that my younger son (13) has loved to fish since he was 3 and fly fish since he was 8. He is an independent fisherman and loves being in the stream and concentrating on his experience. We fish at the same rate, don't hurry or hold each other back, communicate well as needed. He enjoys the solitude as much as I. He does keep count and is very competitive but in a positive and focussed way. His stream manners are impecable. Afterwards, we share a lot of stories and laughs. I am really lucky to be able to share something that I love with him but still be able to enjoy the solitude of the instant.

Rog 1
10-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Even when someone is with me once I get into the water and start zoning in on the total experience I still find myself alone....when I was younger..read late 20s I would pack into the upper reaches of Elkmont and camp by myself for 3-4 days and fish at my own rate....those were some great times and I was never far off the beaten path.....always had an itinerary and someone knew where camp was and when I was to come out....have generally fished with one particular buddy the last 30 years and most of the time we are fishing separately but within site of one another....had to fish one year without his company and while the time on the water was OK his company afterwards was missed....it only takes one bad step to get into trouble anywhere in the mountains...so I have come to realize that safety has to trump the solitude card these days.