PDA

View Full Version : Tellico/North river 10/19

oody3wt
10-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Took two clients up on Tellico and north R. today. The fishing was a little slow but everybody caught fish. We started on the DH where a few fish were caught but nothing outstanding. The majoraty of the day was spent on North where there was a surprisingly healthy hatch of mayflies. Long story short one good fly caster who held his own the other guy listened well and caught his first wild rainbow and brookie. There was this one really awsome looking hole that just didn't produce a single fish and I couldn't figure out why, but as we walked up alongside the sweet spot a brown no less than 19 in shot down streem. I guess he ate all the little bows out of that run. Stream was way low water temp was in the upper 50's overcast all day. Hope the report sheds a little light.

buzzmcmanus
10-22-2007, 11:01 AM
I fished the Tellico DH section on Saturday morning. This is the first time I have a DH area before, actually the first time I have ever fished for stocked trout. I got there around 8 saturday morning. I got there, found a pull off, got rigged up and started fishing. I hadn't made 3 casts and a guy pulls over not 50 yards in front of me, walks down to the river and starts casting a Zebco (I know this, because my wife owns one). Needless to say, I started boiling with anger. I figured I'd fish where I was fishing then just drive a little further up river and resume my day. Within minutes, I'd cooled down and realized I wasn't working and I was fishing. When I went to move up river, I saw the other fisherman's license tags and he was from Florida. I'd like to think that he was on vacation and only had an hour or two away from the wife and kids, and here I am getting mad and I can fish here anytime I want to.

I ended up catching about 15 that were 5-9 inches long, a couple that were 9-12 inches long, and 1 big one that went 16 inches. I had a blast, and it was one of the most relaxing days on the water that I've had all year.

Being my first time fishing for stocked trout, how do you tell the difference between the stocked trout and the wild trout? The large one, was obvious, it's fins were all deformed, but all the other trout looked real healthy and they looked identical. The large fish, also jumped about 6-10 times and it was a blast on the 3wt.

oody3wt
10-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Several of your fish were probably wild but the stockers are usually drab in color, have deformed fins as you mentioned, and don't fight as well a wild fish of equal size. I'm sorry to hear about the zebco experiance but your actually lucky, Usually there are Zebcos for as far as the eye can see. A real pleague. very few of them know of stream ethics or at least dont practice them very well. Glad to here you had a good time and caught some nice fish in the process.

Stonefly
10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
How was the water? I love the North and the Bald, but haven't had the heart to fish 'em this year.

sb

oody3wt
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Its very low and the temps are between 58-62 with alot of leaf litter. I'd say the temp will stay on the lower side due to the rain. The fish are biting pretty well you just gotta break out your dries in the 16-20 range.