PDA

View Full Version : Watauga/South Holston Oct 21

tennswede
10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Went up to Watauga and South Holston today with pineman. We left Knoxville at about 6 AM and got on the river in Elizabethon at about 9 AM. The water was a cold 48 degrees. We managed to catch a few Brookies and I cught three bows.

Didn't see any hatches to speak of and the action was so so. The day was very nice and it was almost hot. We stopped for lunch and headed on to South Holston for the afternoon. I put on a Sulphur dun size 16 immediately and got three nice Browns within ten minutes. They were feeding heavily mid day for about an hour. Neal caught some rainbows along the bank on a sulphur. The action calmed down and I managed to loose a somewhat good fish. Then I got on a real fighter. The fish was only 12" put a pure wild brown who fought like **** on my 7x. I admit I scared Neal in to thinking he was much bigger. I just knew with that kind of tippet I had to take it easy. Neal netted the fish for me after I jelled at him to come and help me. LOL.

We went downriver and I caught a couple of nice bows and Neal took some more fish on the flats. It was a gorgeous day and we had a blast. The drive home is always tiresome but nothing beats a good day out on the river in the fall. The sulphurs are still coming off on South Holston and I think there were some BWO's mixed in. Neal caught two fish on a BWO dun.

Fishermansfly
10-23-2007, 01:22 AM
I knew I saw you! Yelled at dad as we headed to the TVA Access Rd. after seeing you suit up..You were at the picnic area around the 1st set of wiers..The island! We shoulda stopped and said allo! But didn't want to deter a man from fishing! We faired our rather well at a nice section of water! Takes a few minutes to hike down to it, but man is that section on fire with big fish..I managed to stir up a 26'' rainbow and nestle her into a pocket of water....I made several attempts to catch her but she was too smart! We also traveled out to the Watauga early, making it to the Twins Ball Field...Got the skunk, realized why and packed it over to Webbs Market for some grub! We made it to the SOHO the same time you were leaving your truck. Spectacular day on the water! I've posted the full report on my blog, and some pic's of our problem on the Watauga! That river is chalked full of caddis! I mean full! Oh well, knowledge is the arsenal for the next go round!

~Brett

monktrout
10-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Great photos of the cased caddis and the rainbows! Nice work.

tennswede
10-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Brett!

I guess it was us. I usually wear a wide brimmed hat. We fished immediately below the bridge. It was a beautiful day that's for sure.