PDA

View Full Version : Rain on the way????

mtnman2888
10-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Saw the forecast and it seems there is a very good chance of rain for at least today and tomorrow. Hopefully the park will get a nice soaking. I'm planning on a backcountry trip this weekend on the nc side near cherokee and would love to see some beneficial rainfall. For those in the area, keep us informed. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed......

Craig

BrianW
10-22-2007, 08:24 AM
That is great news! I hope it is a nice steady rain.

David Knapp
10-22-2007, 11:11 AM
It's been raining here in Chattanooga off and on all morning. The rain has been gentle but steady, just what we need...:cool:

mtnman2888
10-22-2007, 01:18 PM
I looked at the radar and as long as things don't break up, it looks like some good rainfall may be on the horizon. I sure hope so, those pictures on here of the little river were downright depressing.

Plateau, check your email.....

Craig

Byron Begley
10-22-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm still at the shop. It's 7:00 pm. Ain't raining yet. The mountain forcast calls for 100% tonight and tomorrow.

Byron

David Knapp
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Byron, that is really too bad... I've been watching the radar all day and the rain inevitably dissipates as it comes over the mountains into Blount County. The downslope drying effect is working to maximum efficiency.:frown: Strange thing, Blount county seems to just be a black hole. Almost everywhere else has picked up at least a little rain and there is a hole of no precip over the LR watershed...

Byron Begley
10-22-2007, 07:16 PM
David,

I know. It's killing me. I keep the radar on my monitor all day then I go home a turn on the weather channel at night. Think I'll go do that right now.
I hope school is going well for you. I'll visit you when you move west young friend.

Byron

Hugh Hartsell
10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Fellas,
I just got back from a day on the Oconaluftee River and the Downslope effects were very evident. It was raining all the way to the top of the mountain and dry on the Tenn. side. I saw some huge browns today while fishing.
Hugh

mtnman2888
10-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Hugh, how did the water look in that area? Encouraging to hear that some big fish are out and hopefully overall the fishing was good. I can't wait to get up there this weekend and i will definitely post a report when i get back.

Craig

Hugh Hartsell
10-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi Craig,
The water levels looked about as low as I have seen them this year, but they are still fishable. The barometric pressure was affecting the fish today, but we did catch some. I saw two browns that were at least 25-27 in. long and 1 brown that was gigantic. It was the second largest fish that I have ever seen in the Park and I estimated it to be over 30in.long. and it would have weighed somewhere in the 10-12lb. range. I stood on a bridge just over the top of it and watched it cruise around protecting a female that appeared to be on a bed. It looked like things had just started and she had not finished it yet. She was about 27in. long. It was pretty far down the river and it gave me hope that the bigger fish were not wiped out.
Hugh

mtnman2888
10-23-2007, 05:57 AM
I know this is getting off topic, but justin spoke with matt kulp, a biologist in the smokies, and he said that because of the drought that the rainbow trout population has diminished a good bit. On the bright side, however, he noted that both the brown trout and brook trout seemed to have not been affected and that populations were still good and they haven't seen a decline. Thought i would share this because it was definitely encouraging news to me.

Anyways, back on topic, i looked at the radar this morning and it looks like at the very least a small line of heavy rain is on the way!

Craig

flyyak
10-23-2007, 07:13 PM
It should be raining in the Smokies right now. We have gotten at least two inches in Cleveland and this line is holding together as it hits the mountains. Let's hope this will help the situation and bring some relief to the fish.

jdwindon
10-24-2007, 05:47 AM
Momma reports last night that there was a little over 1" in the rain gauge on our deck near Punkin Center. I'm stuck in Worcester, MA until late Thursday so I get to miss the first real rain in a L-O-N-G time at our place.

Also received news that my company wants me back in the Atlanta Metro soon........and requires a relo.

Anyone want to buy a house?:mad: I guess I'll be back to fishing North GA if they have any water and making the drive to the Park like I used to do. It's been a good three years though. Plus I know we'll be back when it's time to retire so all is not lost. I guess I'll put the mail order system at LRO to the acid test.

nvr2L8
10-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Sorry to hear about the transfer. I can't imagine being relocated away from the Smokies. But keep us posted on north GA and get yourself back up here from time to time.

Tight lines.

sdetoro59
10-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Where do I access the Oconaluftee River from Maryville?

nvr2L8
10-26-2007, 01:43 PM
From Maryville, you would need to go into the Smokies through Townsend, left at the "Y" to Sugarlands and then right up Highway 441 over to the North Carolina side. A pretty good hike from Maryville.