PDA

View Full Version : question about strike indicators

Tiger fly
10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
i am happy to say that as of Saturday, I am the proud owner of a TFO 3wt 7'6" Professional series. (Without breaking the bank, I might add) I tried the finesse but I liked the stouter feel of the professional. Thanks to the staff at LRO for letting me try out a few before I made my decision. I tried it out Saturday and Sunday above Tremont and I really liked it! It kept me out of trees a lot better than the 5/6wt I am used to!

On to my question though. I had very little luck Saturday or Sunday. I had my strike indicator about two feet up from my pheasant tail i was fishing. it was one of those sticky, orange neon indicators that are about the size of a dime after you squeeze them together. I was wondering if those are big enough to spook fish, especially with the water conditions the way they are. I thought i saw some much smaller ones at LRO. Should i try those? or leave it off completely?

David Knapp
10-22-2007, 12:23 PM
First let me say congrats on the new rod!

Now about the indicator...as low as the water is, I would be fishing without a "normal" strike indicator. Try using a dry/dropper combo, with a #16 EHC, para Adams, or stimulator as the dry and then drop a smaller beadhead nymph (#18-#20 bhpt, copper john, etc...) below that. The dry shouldn't spook the fish as bad and will increase your odds of hooking up! If it was me, I would probably leave off the nymph altogether as long as the water is staying warm enough for the fish to be active...they should still be rising to dries just fine...

ChemEAngler
10-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Tiger,
I have found that when the fish are really spooky or the water is low or clear that using a very bouyant dry fly is the best approach. I have seen fish on the clinch and SoHo where switching from a strike indicator to a size 16 sulfur makes a big difference. Now if I am fishing in stained, fast, or deep water (>4') that I just use a balloon. I learned this trick out west. You can buy a bag of 100 water balloons for around $1, and they are way easier to see in rough conditions than a standard indicator.

Travis

bluefish
10-23-2007, 04:26 PM
I've used those indicators ,Palsa is the brand I think, quite a few times. and I have noticed that they sometimes will shut off spooky fish. Fluorocarbon may help especially in 6 and 7 x. I thought that these relatively small indicators would be a little more stealthy than some. Just like you I discovered they have their limitations. Parachutes greased up nicely just like the man says!