PDA

View Full Version : Question on Fly Literature????

homer
10-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Im sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but when referring to a lure or fly with a number what does the number mean? Like on the boxes when you purchase a fly lure it will have like # 13 or # 8 what do the numbers mean on this? Also I have only been fly fishing for a couple of weeks now im sure you all have noticed, but the tip of my fly line sinks after extended periods of floating. I checked the end of the line and there is a tiny incision on on it. Will it have an effect on the fish if I were to patch the hole with glue or something???? Or should I just go and purchase a new line? wich is not too cheap:confused: i paid 62$ for this particular line.

jeffnles1
10-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Homer,
Not an expert here but the numbers you're referring to (i.e. #18 Adams) refers to the size of the hook on which the fly was tied. The higher the number, the smaller the hook. This may help http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/hooksizetype.html

As for the nick in the end of your line, if it's only a couple inches from the tip, just cut it off and reattach your leader. If you're using a braided loop (the chinese handcuff baided thing that slips over your fly line and is held in place by shrink tubing) sometimes gets wet and sinks a little. I've just folded it over in my shirt sleeve and dried it off and it floats again.

I've been removing them and just nail knotting a butt end of leader (the fat end) onto my fly line and tying a perfection loop in it. This seems to work much better for me than the braided loop thingies (like my command of technical terms???).

Hope this helps.

Gerry Romer
10-23-2007, 10:30 AM
I agree, just cut off the nicked section if it's just a small section. A veteran might notice a subtle performance change on big water but it shouldn't affect performance on our small mountain streams.

A little maintenance on your fly line will go a long way on the water. I try to give mine a good cleaning after a few trips. Just strip it into a sink full of warm soapy water, swish it around a bit and strip it into a sink full of warm rinse water while running it thru a soft cloth. You can then apply a commercial line dressing (available at LRO) to the line as you wind it back on the reel.

You can also carry with you a small cleaning patch that will both clean and dress the line as needed. In a pinch, if you really need it, tie a strike indicator on (preferably yarn) at the junction of the leader and the fly line.

Gerry