PDA

View Full Version : TWRA Meeting

tnernie
10-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Anyone have a report on the outcome of the slot limit for the Clinch tailwater from the TWRA meeting?

Byron Begley
10-24-2007, 05:35 PM
I just got back. The proposed slot limit passed committee. The actual vote will be tomorrow but it will probably pass there too. They almost never fail after passing committee. The new regulations will be effective March 2008. Two people from LUCRO got up and spoke against. Me and several other people spoke in favor of the regulation and plan. It's funny, I sat next to a guy for a couple of hours. He and I listened to everything that was going on and we never spoke to each other. After I spoke and sat down, he leaned over and said he reads the fishing report. There were a lot of people there in favor of the slot limit. One was a landowner on the Clinch who I have never met. He spoke too.

One of the most interesting fisheries issues was changing the size limit on smallmouth bass in most of the lakes to 18". Some lakes have an 18" limit but most don't. There were people against that and said that big time bass tournaments wouldn't be held in Tennessee and we would lose a lot of revenue. A guy who represents one of the large bass tournament organizations stood up and was in favor of the regulation change.

Interesting day.

Byron

David Knapp
10-24-2007, 06:02 PM
That's great news Byron! Assuming it gets passed tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing how the proposed regulations can enhance the quality of the fishery on the Clinch.

Flat Fly n
10-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Byron,
I just got back from a SC lowcountry fishing trip that had been planned months before this meeting. Thanks for going, and reporting.

I made alot of phone calls and pushed more emails out to landowners that I knew were in favor of the regs. I take it Mr. Kline did not show?

Flat Fly'n

Byron Begley
10-25-2007, 04:19 PM
A friend of mine who attended the meeting today came by the shop and said the Commission gave final approval on the Clinch River Management Plan which includes a slot limit on trout. It will take effect March 2008. One major factor was all the e-mails and letters you sent. I don't know yet about the Smallmouth Bass proposal but it probably passed too.

Byron

Jswitow
10-26-2007, 01:49 PM
That is great news! I bet in a couple of years we will really start to see the benefits.
Hats off to TWRA !
Tight lines,
John