PDA

View Full Version : Hiwassee Report

David Knapp
10-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I finally went fishing yesterday! It had been entirely too long but I apparently hadn't lost the fish catching ability as the fish were very cooperative. I had a fish on the 4th or 5th cast and it continued that way for the next few hours. The main reason for the success appeared to be because all the fish were recent stockers that acted like they were starving. I didn't see any fish that looked like they had been in the river any length of time except for one small rainbow. The water temp was in the mid 60's during low water and I didn't check the discharge temp. In addition to the trout, I also caught several various sunfish. The best flies were a #12 Prince nymph and a #12 Simi Seal Leech. A little action on the fly seemed to help... Late in the day the fish were rising fairly well in a few select runs near the powerhouse. I saw a few small caddis, a couple white mayflies and the usual stray midges... For a few pictures from yesterday check my blog.

Hopefully I'll get a couple hours on the Caney tomorrow morning...if anyone else is fishing down there, stop and say hello...

irfishing
10-27-2007, 06:52 PM
If I may inquire, were you wading or floating and did you only fish near the powerhouse or also on other sections of the river? I am thinking about giving the Hiwassee a try in the next couple of weeks.

Hope the fish in the Caney are turned on for you. Good luck.

Thanks

David Knapp
10-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I was wading and mainly fished around the powerhouse. I also fished down a mile or two for a little while but there didn't seem to be nearly as many fish down there. Floating won't be easy for awhile probably since they are mainly sticking to a pulse every three hours... The river should only fish better as it gets colder!!!

irfishing
10-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the information. Will probably plan on wading when I go and like you did, start fishing near the powerhouse section.

Did you get to the Caney? If so, how was it?

David Knapp
10-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Caney was awesome! See my Caney Report...