PDA

View Full Version : Clinch 10/30

monktrout
10-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I fished the upper Clinch today. I was midge fishing near the main dam and fishing was good. Brooks, rainbows and browns were all there and willing. I used a BHPT and a red butt. The red butt(peacock body, gray partridge hackle, red tag, and red thread) seemed to get them active. I could catch more fish with weight and indicators, but I like fishing unencumbered when possible. However, I will resort to all matter of rigs if my freestylin' ain't working. I also fish downstream way too much. A model of fishing efficency I'm not. The water is real flat by the dam. It is difficult to get close without putting them down. Wade gently, find your spot, let the pool settle and they will be back on the smut, as the English say. Long limp leaders and 6x . I used floro today. Didn't hurt. Fish I caught were in the 7-11 range. Tried to strip some olive buggers and black leech's as the midgin' slacked off. A couple of hits and one fish to hand on buggers. Back to the red butt. I moved my midge patterns and they seemed attentive. A couple of hits on top. All and all a beautiful day

ChemEAngler
11-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Fished the clinch today near the boat launch above the weir dam. Fish were rising everywhere to small (26) olive midges. Manged to pick up a few on a small olive emerger and a new olive pupae pattern I just came up with. Had some rises on a cream midge dry, but couldn't hook up. Had three other FF's walk right up and start fishing the same pool I was in, and they were unsuccessful. They only lasted about 1 hour before they got mad said a few choice words about the fishing conditions and said they were going home. I offered some advice about the midge patterns and size, but they said that if they had to fish anything smaller than a size 16 they would just not fish. Beautiful day on the river: no wind, very comfortable weather, caught some fish, couldn't have asked for more. This is tough fishing, and I know I could go somewhere else and probably catch more and larger fish. But something about this challenges me. I know that if I can conquer the clinch with drag free drifts and midges, it will help me to be a better fisherman.

Travis

monktrout
11-03-2007, 11:15 PM
ChemEangler, I have a difficult time below the weir dam. Some days there are lots of fish and the fishin' is easy. Yet those midges can test you. If there are no clouds it can be even harder.I often try small soft hackles with quick twitches. If the crowds are a problem at the weir you will usually find elbow room below the main dam. It's tough in the flat water there. I try to get close to the midging fish, but they scatter as you move into reasonable casting position. But they will restart somewhere in the neighborhood. I truly enjoy midge fishing. It makes me fully aware of my limitations as a fly fisherman.If I could get in close and not have a problem with wind on long casts I would like to use my 3wt. To reach the fish I was glad to have my 5wt. What do you think of florocarbon?

tire guy
11-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Fished the upper Clinch above weir and had a great day. The fish were hitting my bh midge regular. The slight breeze helped make my indicator bounce around, it must have teased the fish just enough. I caught a brooke, a brown of nice size and lots of rainbows. The trick for me was finding the correct depth. Also thanks to Little Rive for their hard work on this site.
Brian

ChemEAngler
11-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Monk,
My experience is that in flat water fluorocarbon is a must. Typically I don't use fluoro when fishing dries since the pysical properties lend fluoro to sink more easily and faster than mono. Anytime I am fishing a nymph, I always use fluoro. I have found that in the slick water there is less surface turbulence and the surface tension is just enough to let it float. I have been in situations where I ran out of fluoro and had to go with nylon tippet, but I had to down size an additional size in order to start getting strikes again. If I have trouble with my fluoro tippet sinking I either grease it with floatant or switch to a floating leader(furled or Orvis Hy-float).

Regarding the weir pool, I have found that the action is typically better the sooner you get there after generation. As the weir pool drops, the current slows. At times after the generators have been off a long time (5+ hrs) there appears to be no hint of a current, making it harder fishing. When I encounter this, I like to skate my midge across the surface.

Travis

Hey Monk, if you want to hit the Clinch sometime let me know. I get off every Friday at noon, and I have Saturday and Sunday off as well.

monktrout
11-04-2007, 11:01 AM
ChemE, Thanks for the excellent post. Friday is sometimes a good day for me. Hope we can get together. Always interested in what's happening on the Clinch. Also thanks for the floro update.

Realtyman
11-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Monk,
If I have trouble with my fluoro tippet sinking I either grease it with floatant or switch to a floating leader(furled or Orvis Hy-float).

I have fished with Frog Hair fluro while nymphing and then changed to an emerger or even a dry without changing tippet. Has anybody had any adverse effects with greasing fluro to help it float? I have heard some say that the fluro when greased produces an undesirable effect such as the color of the tippet? Any ideas?

appalachian angler
11-05-2007, 08:54 AM
I have never tried greasing Flouro, but have made quick switches to dry's and had no real drag issues even though on a long drift, the flouro section of tippet will sink some. I Don't fish whole flouro leader (I'm too cheap), but I will fish a mono leader with 2-6' of flouro 6X. I Like Frog hair, and have had NO problems with the mono to flouro knots failling. I use mostly double surgeons' knots for tippet to leader. If you fellow Clinchers like fishing midges, try fishing your favorite larvae/pupa patterns weighted (ie. BH) without an indicator in the shallow riffles like the ones at the head end of Millers' Island. Take a leader about 6' long (like an older one that you have cut back over time the finer tippet portion) and attach about 4' of 6X flouro tippet. Grease the last few feet of your flyline, and the mono portion of your leader. High stick your nymphs through the riffle 45* up to 45* down. Be ready because the takes will be swift! You might just be pleasantly surprised at how many nice fish are piled up in there. I tend to catch mostly Bows this way, and some up to 16" in 8" of water!!!

aa

ChemEAngler
11-05-2007, 01:51 PM
AA,
I have been thinking about doing this, and after your post I believe I will on my next visit. I wonder how this technique would work in the slower moving water in the weir pool. It may require having too much line out for those spookier fish. Any thoughts?

Travis

monktrout
11-06-2007, 10:21 PM
What about a six foot flurled leader, tie on 4ft of 6x floro to the tiny ring on the flurled leader with a clinch knot,bhpt sz18? Quarter up and down hi-stick.Add a tiny partridge collar and work it out in moving water. Got a better Clinch flat water rig? Oh yeah, in a perfect world you've got a 3wt Sage LL or a sweet Winston.

ChemEAngler
11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Hey Monk,
I am planning on heading over to the clinch when I get off work around noon. The predicted outflow shows that they should be going with the same generation schedule that they have been using the past week. I have a section of water that I haven't fished in a while, planning on giving it a try. You gonna be out that way?

Travis

monktrout
11-07-2007, 10:08 PM
ChemE, Thanks for the invite. My mother is a little sick and I've been helping her. Keep me posted on how the Clinch is fishing. Maybe we can fish after Thanksgiving if that works for you. Monk

Flat Fly n
11-08-2007, 08:29 AM
for the deep water, a 12ft leader at least with about 2-3 ft of 6x flouro always. BTW....leave the flouro orange fly lines for the UT game...gray or olive is a must, but only secondary to learning how to cast without anymore than 1-2 backcast.

ttas67
11-08-2007, 01:41 PM
going to try the clinch later today. aa, thanks for the tip. anyone have any suggestions for flies? I haven't fished there in a few months. standard zebra midges I assume?