PDA

View Full Version : fly line

lauxier
11-04-2007, 07:27 PM
has anyone tried the cortland sylk line?am thinking about trying it--

tennswede
11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
yes. It is slick and shoots good. I used mine, (it's a 6wt DT floating) for nymphing with an old fiberglass rod. The rod had the original small diameter guides hence my choice of the sylk for it's smaller diameter. I still got the line but not the rod. I'm probably going to use the line for my slower action rods next year. I think the line is pretty much equal to the 444 classic series with the smaller diameter being the difference.

Realtyman
11-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes, My 6 year old has the Cortland Sylk on a T&T 2wt 6' 4 piece with an Orvis BBS II reel and it is slick. We went with a 3wt line on a 2wt rod and it is just perfect for him. Thanks to dleo6446 for the gift to my son! Sometimes when he's at school, I sneak it out and play with it on the Caney Fork:eek:

He's pictured at the top of my blog with the setup mentioned above:biggrin:

appalachian angler
11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
I had some issues with it getting sticky in really hot weather. Try not to wind it too tight on the reel, and don't leave much residue on the line from the cleaning pad they provide. Wipe off the excess with a soft dry bandanna. These two things will help ward off the "stickies". Other than that, it is a great casting line that has a nice gentle presentation and does very well in COLD water!

aa

tnernie
11-05-2007, 01:57 PM
You might like to take a look at the discussion of this line on The Classic Fly Rod Forum. Here is a link to one of the discussions and you can search for others-there have been several.
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/970

Ernie