PDA

View Full Version : question about name of fly

milligan trout degree
11-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I saw a picture of a fly in the orvis fly tying book the other day, and I can't remember the name of it. It might just be a pheasant tail, just very simplified. so much that I'm not sure it would be a pt.

It's tied on a small hook (the same I use for my midges..20 and smaller). Its just a few pheasant tail fibers for tail and body, ribbed with ultra wire and that's it. I'm sure someone has tied something like it. I was just curious of the name of this fly so I don't have to refer to it with the description all the time.

I used this fly yesterday on the watauga when the zebra midge was slowing down and got three fish in a row out of a pool. Caught a few more from that hole before the fly finally began falling apart. so I did the only thing I could, tied more when I got back to my dorm room.

flyman
11-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I have seen PT nymphs tied many different ways, some of the smaller sizes are nothing more than PT fibers for the tail and body and some wire ribbing.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=0459&dir_id=1236&group_id=1248&cat_id=5842&subcat_id=7166

The American PT made popular by Al Troth is quite a bit different than the original PT Frank Sawyer first tied years ago. So I guess it would be OK to still call it a PT nymph?