View Full Version : question about name of fly

milligan trout degree
11-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I saw a picture of a fly in the orvis fly tying book the other day, and I can't remember the name of it. It might just be a pheasant tail, just very simplified. so much that I'm not sure it would be a pt.

It's tied on a small hook (the same I use for my midges..20 and smaller). Its just a few pheasant tail fibers for tail and body, ribbed with ultra wire and that's it. I'm sure someone has tied something like it. I was just curious of the name of this fly so I don't have to refer to it with the description all the time.

I used this fly yesterday on the watauga when the zebra midge was slowing down and got three fish in a row out of a pool. Caught a few more from that hole before the fly finally began falling apart. so I did the only thing I could, tied more when I got back to my dorm room.

11-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I have seen PT nymphs tied many different ways, some of the smaller sizes are nothing more than PT fibers for the tail and body and some wire ribbing.


The American PT made popular by Al Troth is quite a bit different than the original PT Frank Sawyer first tied years ago. So I guess it would be OK to still call it a PT nymph?