PDA

View Full Version : Shad

oody3wt
11-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm almost embarrased to even admit to fishing for these things but they're so much fun. As the water cools on the the lakes they start taking flies better and better. I take a canoe out in the morning and around 9 they start breaking on gizzard shad minnows in open water. The flies i use are just big hunks of marrabou on a #4 hook thrown into or past a busted school, wait a second strip sink strip sink and so on. sometimes the more aggressive you are the better. ripping a streamer in as fast as you can is productive while other times when one flashes at it you just got to let it sink until you feel something. I've caught threadfin that go from index finger to past the elbow. Needless to say the fight is a lot of fun full of acrobatic jumps, deep dives, and short but powerfull runs. I'll put some pics up as soon as the lame knee heals up and i can go back out. It feels good to go a step below carp.

Troutman
11-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I think they are pretty fun to catch also. This summer I floated a local tailwater with a friend in his drifter and we came upon some fish rising downriver of us. They were shad and were so spooky that you had to have a perfect reach cast and keep your line upstream or they would stop feeding. We used a foam beetle and caught several.
I think trout are often held on a pedastal as being the top fish. I also read somewhere that a carp has an IQ of 12 and the trout is somewhere around 3. I think fishing for different species with make you a better all around angler.

Flat Fly n
11-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Unless you eat them! BTW..We call them Tennessee Tarpon!

kylemc
11-08-2007, 11:35 AM
never fished for shad before but its fishing and fishing is fun!!

We do fish when the shad are coming through the turbines though,YEEEHAAAWWWWW

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/kylemc_01/ManiacHog101107.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/kylemc_01/Guitou26inchrainbow2_800.jpg

These were caught 2 weeks ago by a friend

oody3wt
11-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Tennessee Tarpon... I'm gonna use that

Woody
11-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Rainbow on steriods, my goodness. Every spring along the east coast the Hickory and American shad run up steam to spawn. Prime time is just as the dogwood start to bloom untill the last flower is on the tree. During a good spawning run you can pull in 80 to 100 2 to 3 pounders in in no time at all. Here in Virginia they are called the "poor mans tarpoon"

Stonefly
11-09-2007, 01:57 PM
kylemc -

Where did that come from??!!

sb

snaildarter
11-09-2007, 09:23 PM
oody3wt, you are so right. These things are a blast to fish for. They also make great bait for Stripers and Musky (the former world freshwater record Striper came from Melton Hill Reservoir here in TN, and it was caught on a 21" skipjack). By the way, they aren't Threadfin Shad, although they look very similar. A Threadfin only gets to about 6 inches long. Common names for the fish you are catching are Skipjack or River Herring. But Tennessee Tarpon is a great name too.

And yeah, Kyle, where did THOSE come from?

kylemc
11-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I'd tell ya but then I would have to kill ya....LOL

Jswitow
11-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Tell me! I can run reeaaallll fast!
What pigs!
John