PDA

View Full Version : Floating at Night

David Knapp
11-08-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm thinking of floating the Caney at night sometime in the not too distant future. I am just looking for anyones ideas, pro or con, hints, tips, things to be aware of, etc. on floating at night. I already know that I should know the section I'm floating very well. Any insight into any of the above would be great! Anyone have any great stories of huge fish they have caught at night?

bcunnin1
11-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Can I ask why? I am just curious?? If you want some company I think I would like to try.

jeffnles1
11-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I've done a lot of night fishing just not with fly rods. One thing I can say is be careful. It's dark out there and it's easy to get disoriented. Falling overboard at night is not a very postive experience.

Bring good strong battery operated lights (a good flashlight and a stronger light if you have one). Those little LED things that clip to the bill of your had are wonderful.

I've never seen the river you're talking about so I have no specifics. If you're not very experienced in the boat or in a boat you're unfamiliar with, make a dry run in the daytime. Be sure everything is organized and everything is in its place. You don't want to be fumbling around looking for stuff in the dark.

I've not night fished this time of year, but remember the water is cold and the air is cold. A dunk can be dangerous. I've fished from a boat in early spring and it always seems colder out on the water. Warm clothes are a must.

Other than the safety precautions, have fun, take lots of pictures and please give us a full report.

Jeff

ChemEAngler
11-08-2007, 09:21 PM
I have been thinking about doing this as well. I have a few places on the Hiwassee and SoHo that I could do this at. I didn't know what the regulations were regarding this on tailwaters. I know that they do it a lot up in Michigan during the hex hatch, but I had been told that TWRA frowns upon trout fishing at night. I have not yet found anything online or anybody else who can verify this earlier statement. I have these visions of stripping big streamers on an early fall night with a full moom.

Travis

David Knapp
11-08-2007, 10:43 PM
I have these visions of stripping big streamers on an early fall night with a full moom.

Indeed...:biggrin: I"ve been thinking about that also and since the browns are supposed to be more aggressive in the fall, I am hoping for some big ones...quality over quantity...or maybe both!:cool: I have excellent night vision and with the full moon shouldn't need extra light except for small stuff like tying knots.

doghaircaddis
11-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Let me know if you need someone to man the boat and take some photos. I'd love to see what you pull outta that river.

Rockyraccoon
11-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I know that a big furry mouse rat pattern, tossed against the banks, twitched and swam, in the dark, can produce cinder block dropped from 20' splashes!

Gotta be careful though as mentioned. Also a good idea to notify the family of a time frame and your exact itinerary. This way if your late and need a rescuing, help could be on the way. GPS and cell phones also help. Carry enough dry clothes to last several days in case of a dunking or multiple dunkings.

FLYFSN
11-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Plateau Angler,
Check out taneycomotrout.com/flyfishingreports.html
Scroll down to October 4 th 2007. Good luck!

Grumpy
11-09-2007, 08:32 AM
You really need to know the section you're floating, i sent some youngn's out a few weeks back, they dragged the boat quite a bit because they weren't familiar with the low water.
There probably won't be as many drunks on the river this time of year, you'd be surprised as to what you'll run into during the warmer months:eek:
A full moon is a great time to float, hold onto your rod, they knock the fire out of 'em at night.:biggrin:

Grumpy

buzzmaster
11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
I have floated the caney alot several times at night and overnight trips mainly from the dam to bettys but we did float it all the way to the cumberland twice. I think you will be fine. They are not generating right now very much so I think its a good idea in fact I was thinking of doing the same soon. When i floated the river at night before we fished under a light that we took with us with bait each time and left there with 14 trout all 18" or bigger. I never tried fly fishing at night though but i bet you will do well...

David Knapp
11-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks to all for the information...hopefully I'll be able to pull this trip off. For those that mentioned being interested in this trip, I think I already have someone but if that falls through, I'll check with you. If this trip goes well, I'm sure I'll be doing it again and will be looking for someone to man the other seat in my canoe...:cool:

Jswitow
11-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Buzzmaster,
I hope you meant you caught, but did keep all of those fish?
John

Jswitow
11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Ooops! What I meant to type was: did you keep all of those fish? I sure hope not.
John

buzzmaster
11-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes i kept all those fish. I was with a friend the limit is seven a piece they were mostly rainbows but there were a couple of browns around 20". I try not to keep many browns anymore however the limit is set by the twra and i buy a trout stamp like everyone else. If they thought there was a problem with keeping seven trout they would change the limit and I would abide by that. Being single I dont cook alot but i can cook fish good and after that trip i cooked for my parents and a friend. I NEVER waste any of the fish i catch and dont always leave there with my limit even if i caught more than seven keeper sized fish. I fish the caney frequently almost every weekend and have a small boat we float it in I love the resource there and would do nothing to harm it but if they set the limit at seven and my freezer is empty seven go home if they are decent size.

trout wrangler
02-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Hey man.theres goods an bads bout the night game.you jus gotta try it for yourself.Words of advise I could give you:(1)the fewer lights you can use the better.(2)dont wade fish less you have to(3)one white light is required in boat but doesnt have to be on(flashlight,ex..)(4)it will take you alot longer than you think to get down the river(5)fog sucks but darker the night the better