PDA

View Full Version : Fly Tier's Weekend

Lindsey
11-11-2007, 09:59 AM
When is Fly Tier's Weekend? Has it been discontinued? I haven't seen any publicity on it. Please post dates of the event ASAP. Thanks!!

D-Drake
11-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Lindsey,

We haven't had the Fly Tyers Weekend for the last several years. We will however be having our FREE Saturday morning Fly Tying Demos. I'm not exactly certain when they will begin (Paula is working on the schedule) but we will be posting a schedule for that as soon as it is available.

The FREE Fly Tying Demos wil lbe held here at the store on Saturday's from 10am till 2pm. We generally have one or two local fly tyers. All you have to do is show up, grab a cup of coffee, watch, ask questions and learn. It is always a lot of fun.

Daniel

Byron Begley
11-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Hugh Hartsell will be tying here at the shop as a demonstration on Saturday the 17th from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm. Since Hugh is sort of the "Dean" of this message board I expect a huge turnout. We will have more fly tying demonstrations through February 2008 on Saturdays. In January and Feburary they will tie every Saturday. We will always post the dates here and on the Fishing Report.

Byron

Hugh Hartsell
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Byron, thank you for the kind and generous words.
OK, guys and ladies, let's set aside some time this Saturday for the kickoff of Flytiers Weekend. I want to make this tying event to be as open to questions as it will be to actual flytying. I'm going to leave the patterns that I tie, open to you. I hope to see as many of you as the store will hold, and if anyone has a particular pattern that they would like to share, I'll be glad to yield my seat to give you the opportunity. I can't wait to meet all the folks that came by last year and bring a buddy with you this time.
Looking forward to Saturday,
Hugh

ttas67
11-13-2007, 01:12 AM
I'll be there.

flyman
11-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Wish my probation officer would let me leave the state. I'd sure like to see Hugh tie a few, maybe next time.:frown: I've always admired his ability to imitate the various aquatic insects common to our area streams.

Troutman
11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Hugh, Will you be tying also in Jan-Feb.? Looks like I will miss seeing you this year on the 17th (UT-Vandy tickets) and I really wanted to see you tie several of your emerger patterns. Somebody take GOOD notes for me please!

flyman
11-18-2007, 01:17 AM
How did it go?

rainBBow
11-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Thank you Hugh.
Next time I hope to get there earlier instead of towards the end.
Thank you also to LRO for hosting this eveny.
I look forward to the next one.

Hugh Hartsell
11-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Fellas,
I want to thank every one of you that took the time to come out and help kick off the Flytying Events that will take place at Little River Outfitters for the next several weeks. There was a very good crowd and for this event and, we mostly covered the types of flies that you will see hatching off on the tailwaters and some mountain streams during the winter season. It was good to get to show some of the emerger patterns that are so hard to duplicate on the stream. Besides just tying the flies, we got to talk about casting and mending skills, as well as how to present these tiny flies in a way that you can detect a strike and not be straining your eyes out. We covered at least 3 of the prominent tailwaters in the area and lots of talk about what would be hatching out. As promised, we got to see a guest take the tying chair and show us his version of the "Crackleback", that Ed Story has made famous for several years. I want to thank the gentleman for showing us his rendition of a fly that works real well on the Clinch and Cumberland Rivers.
Again, my thanks to all of you who came by and joined in on some great East Tenn. Flytying. Thank you, Little River Outfitters, for allowing us to be a part of you great shop.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

limbsnagger
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for your demonstration yesterday. I really enjoyed getting the opportunity to meet you. I think I speak for all of us there in that we all enjoyed watching you tie. It was great to listen to you and those other gentlemen who seemed to have been tying for some time. I just started tying several months ago and getting the opportunity to just listen in so to speak, can really teach you alot. Hope to see you again as I'm sure I will have alot more questions.

Thanks,
Chad Parker

drag line
11-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Hugh, just wanted to say thanks for the tying tips. It was a honor and a privilege to meet you and watch a true master at the tying bench. And thanks for not making to much fun of my crackleback. I am still trying to learn to tie. Bill Hudson

UofMontanaAlum
11-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks Hugh. It was great getting to see a professional tie a few. I really enjoyed it. I hope to see more of your work in the future.

I also have to say that I LOVE LRO! I have never seen a fly shop (or any independently owned business) so well organized and merchandised. Absolutely beautiful!

Thanks Hugh and LRO for a morning!!!:smile:
Scott Paulson

ttas67
11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I can't believe I missed it! I was planning on going all week, then was fooling around with homework all day saturday and totally forgot about it until around 1:30, and it was too late. guess I'll have to wait til next year.

Byron Begley
11-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Wish I could have spent more time downstairs watching Hugh. To much to get done! Jack Gregory will be tying on Saturday December 1st. You will all want to watch him tie. Also, if Hugh is willing we would like to have him back in January or February. Paula is going to contact him. A lot of you missed him last week for one reason or another.

Byron