PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a fellar named Jack

Bug
11-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Hello to all. After reading a few posts and seeing a few familiar names I saw that this was my kind of place.
I live in Marion, NC and have been fishing all my life, but after being introduced to fly fishing I now live to fly fish. I fish in NC most of the time but planning on crossing over more next year.

The reason for the topic title is a few months back I was fishing my home water, S. Toe in NC, and I ran into a fellow fly fisherman named Jack that I can't remember his last name from Tenn. I asked if he wanted to share the stream and we did. I can honestly say that it was an honor. It isn't everday that you get to fish with a stranger and a great fisherman. At days end we are back at our vehicles and still talking fishing and start showing flies. Jack saw my poor steamer box and gave me two flies and said if neeed to contact him to go to LRO and we parted ways.
One of those flies allowed me to land a 26" brown on 2 wt. out of a creek in WV. My biggest fish ever landed, and I don't think it would have hit any other fly under the circumstances.

I just want to say thanks for the flies and I have taken the avice you gave me on my home river.

Jeremy McClellan

Jeremy McClellan

mtnman2888
11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Good to see that you've made it over here. I recognize you from the wnc trout forum. You'll enjoy this one.

Craig

Byron Begley
11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Jeremy,

Welcome to the board. It is good to have you here.

You are probably talking about Jack Gregory. He is one of my best friends and the best fly fisherman I have ever known. He lives a few miles from the shop and has fished the Smokies all his life. We even Tarpon fish together. But I don't remember that he fished the South Toe this year. I'll ask him. Would the streamer have been called a Mugger?

Byron

Bug
11-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Glad to be here and Byron, I am not sure what Jack called it, all I remember is when he showed them to me and explained how they worked, my mind went racing with the possibilities.
The flies were two very chewed up Todds Wiggle Minnow, rainbow color. Needless to say, I have placed my order.

Jeremy

Byron Begley
12-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Jeremy,

I talked to Jack Gregory yesterday. He was tying here at the shop. He's your guy. He told me all about fishing with you, how it rained the night before and the water was stained. He said you were a good fisherman. If you want to talk to him send me an e-mail at info@littleriveroutfitters.com and I'll send you his phone number.

Byron

Grumpy
12-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Byron
That's why i never hear any negative comments about you or your shop, keep it up, that's service there my friend.

Grumpy

Byron Begley
12-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Grumpy,

Thanks for the encouragement. And thanks for your friendship. I can't wait to hear about your new rod. I'm guessing you will be on the Caney this weekend. If I don't see you before then, have a great Christmas.

Byron