PDA

View Full Version : What Reel

irfishing
11-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Just received a Sage 3wt rod and would like to hear some suggestions for what reels should be considered. The rod is a medium action if this makes any difference. Have been using a 5wt and this is a new experience for me.
Thanks

jeffnles1
11-21-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a Sage SLT 3wt 7'6" length and the Orvis BBS II reel (battenkill bar stock) is a near perfect match for the rod.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

diamonddave7676
11-21-2007, 08:17 PM
well depends on how much money you have to spend. Basically any reel fished with in the smokies is nothing more then a line holder and it would not matter much if you spent $100 or $500 cause it is going to do about the same thing.

old tom
11-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Look at LRO's online catalog. I really like the way they've done this. Click on reels, you can then specify the wt reels you want to look at, then look at just 3wt reels within dollar ranges. Saves a lot of flipping back and forth like some other online catalogs.

buckeyetrouter
11-22-2007, 09:04 AM
I agree with Jeff.....the Orvis BBSII is a reel whose advantages far outreach the meager $$$ you pay for it. Other than that, if there is a reel that you have longed for, you may want to take your new rod to LRO and try that reel on you new rod to get an idea on balance.

Congrats on the new Sage!!! I am expecting to get a new rod this Jan when I take another fly tying class at LRO. I am torn between Sage and the 7'6" 3wt Trout Bum...guess I have a little over a month to decide....

buckeyetrouter

Grumpy
11-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Orvis is coming out with a BBS I if you can wait, or if you have $300 to drop, the Hardy Marksman is a sweet lil reel.

Grumpy

wmwalker
11-22-2007, 09:42 AM
I agree with everyone on this one. It just depends on how much you want spend. Everyone has there favorite reel. I like the Ross Rhythm 0. a sweet reel:smile:
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone:smile:
Wyatt

Byron Begley
11-22-2007, 03:23 PM
The BBS I will be sweet. Orvis says it will be available in January for $89. But, some of their January delivery gear is already in the shops. We just got the new Clearwater Rods in and they were supposed to be delivered in January. And I agree, you don't need to spend a ton of money to get a good reel for trout fishing in the Smokies. The BBS I weighs a mere 3.2 oz. and has a diameter of 2.5". It might be too light for your rod or it may be perfect. For the money, I like the Orvis BBS. Go to a fly shop with your rod and try different reels on it. See how it feels to you.

Old Tom, it's good to hear that you like the Online Catalog. A lot of thought went into it and we have spent a huge amount of time surfing through our competitors sites. We want it to be idiot proof so I can find stuff. Any comments, good or bad would be valuable information for us. One of our customers said the search was too slow. We bought a plug-in that took care of that for a small price.

Thanks.

Byron

Grumpy
11-23-2007, 09:13 AM
If i'm not mistaken, the BBS I will come in a new light gold color as well, the pics look good, hopefully, the reel will.
Byron, the new Helios are out of this world, especially the 8 weight, get ready to send some backing out with that one & that's in the wind:biggrin:
They have done a great job on the Clearwaters as well.

Grumpy

Byron Begley
11-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi Grumpy,

I totally missed the gold finish. I bet you are right. Orvis is adding gold to the mid arbor. I agree, the Helios Rods are unbelievable. I think we have already sold a couple. My favorite was the 8 weight too. The Clearwater rods just came in. It's a nice rod with a cool tube for $199. I'm sure you guys are busy today. Tell all the gang at Cumberland Transit hello from me.

Byron

irfishing
11-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Just returned from Thanksgiving. Hope everyone had a great one. We all have so much for which to be thankful.

Thanks to all for the helpful input on reel selection. I am going with the Orvis BBS II. Bryon, expect an order from me in the next couple of weeks.

Grumpy
11-26-2007, 09:28 AM
I stand corrected, the BBS I only comes in black or titanium, the new LA & Mid Arbor will be offered in gold:redface:

Grumpy

Byron Begley
11-26-2007, 12:13 PM
irfishing,

Thanks so much. We'll be waiting. Good choice.

Byron

monktrout
11-28-2007, 11:07 PM
A small traditional Hardy, featherweight;simple, dependable,classic,lasts for years, and that Hardy squall! You need at least one. I truly like mine. I have three(sold an utralite disc,which I tried to get back). Maybe they are not for everyone, especially if you want a hi-tec deal. But if you like lasting beauty that grows old with grace, get a Hardy.

irfishing
12-02-2007, 08:02 PM
As noted previously, I had decided to go with the Orvis BBS II. However, after talking with Byron today, I decided to go with the new BBS I. Placed the order and now the anticipation starts. New rod and reel for spring fishing in the Smokies!!!!!
Byron, thanks for your guidance. Great shop and super people.

Byron Begley
12-03-2007, 10:02 AM
irfishing,

I just talked to Daniel and the Orvis online dealer site tells us that they have the BBS I in stock. They were ordered by him last week so they should be in around the middle of this week. The price I told you was $98. They are actually $89. I was going by memory which is a dangerous thing. Glad I was high not low. Enjoy your new reel and thank you for ordering it from us.

Byron