PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS?

Fly Ties GA
11-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

The Holidays are here and I am looking for the right GPS device (and software) to carry with me while fishing in the Smokies. I am new to the area and figured that it would be a smart thing for me to have while exploring all of the wonderful fishing the Smokies has to offer.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.

Tight Lines.

Bob

ccmmcc
11-24-2007, 11:10 AM
I have the Garmin Etrex Vista. I really like it. I was going to map all of my favorite fishing spots in the Smokies but I soon found out that you can't get very good signals along the rivers because of the overhead tree canopy. You have to put in a lot of time trying to find unobstructed views of the sky. Maybe newer models get better reception.

pmike
11-24-2007, 02:05 PM
...check out the Garmin GPS 60 csx. I have an Etrex Vista and it works great in the open, but not under the trees. The newer models like the gps 60csx have a better antenna and are far more sensitive. I have heard that they have been know to even locate satellites from indoors.

Mike

doghaircaddis
11-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Hello Bob,

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx. Got it when I first moved to Nashville earlier this year. It wasn't something I REALLY needed, but it did help me to a few job interviews and really came in handy on my trip out west.

It does do the job well. I have a lock on satellites almost anywhere I go. Even downstairs in the center of my house I have a signal. With the map I have loaded, I can get turn by turn directions. Battery life is amazing...and the build quality is great. Also, Garmin has great CS.

I can't say I would make this purchase again, however. It's just not worth the money to me. I spent about $350 on the unit. It's basically worthless unless you purchase extra mapping software. So I spent another $140 on City Navigator....then another $100 on accessories. Now, if I want to effectively use it for hiking...I'll have to spend another $120 on TOPO.

SO... if you have the money and are looking for a great handheld, I would check out this one. At the time I made the purchase, this was one of, if not the best, handhelds available. And you should be able to get it at better price now.

Fly Ties GA
11-24-2007, 10:24 PM
It sounds like I would need the better models just to gain access to satellites through the heavy tree cover. I have been looking at these online and it is a shame you can't buy a high sensitivity device without all of the bells and wistles.

Thanks for the informaiton and tight lines.

Bob

Grumpy
11-26-2007, 09:26 AM
I have been looking at these online and it is a shame you can't buy a high sensitivity device without all of the bells and wistles.

Bob

Bob, i'm with you, i'd love to have one, something simple in my case:eek: , doghaircaddis spent quite a bit there, i don't think i've spent that much my entire life on gas being lost:redface: or that much time being turned around in my back yard to justify that much money.

Grumpy