PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to Me!

Gerry Romer
11-25-2007, 12:54 AM
I actually wrote this thread last night, but between downloading iespell and problems getting photobucket to upload some pics (and a couple of Jim Beam Black on the rocks)... my original post is wandering around out there somewhere in cyberspace. So I'm gonna try again.

Let me say at the outset, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would ever, ever, fish the Caney......... :biggrin:

I decided that, for my birthday this year, I would have to get schooled on the Caney. Fortunately, after some good-natured teasing about the Hiwassee a few weeks back, Plateau Angler (AKA David Knapp) had offered to show me how to fish the Caney. So I took him up on his offer and am I ever glad I did.

If anyone out there should ever have the opportunity to fish any water with David... do not - I repeat - do not pass it up. David is truly a fishing machine! He has that unique, innate ability to sniff out fish in water he's never fished before (Either that, or he's a really good liar... but I don't think so. I believe he dances with fish!).

We met up at Happy Hollow and, at David's discretion, moved on farther downstream to start our day on the Caney at 8 am. We went down past Betty's Island and tried to wade in near a freeway bridge, but it was a bit crowded. So we backed out a bit and decided to try a stretch of water that David had been wanting to check out. There were exactly 4 people on the water in a stretch that covered maybe an eighth to a quarter of a mile. David didn't want to intrude, so we hiked upriver a good bit through some pasture - ripe with cow-pies - to find a suitable wade-in spot. With overcast skies and very windy, cool temps we put in to a wide channel that was ripe for the taking. And David proceeded to take! Fish, after fish, after fish!! Suffice it to say that Plateau Angler is, indeed, a fishing machine! Every time I looked upstream he had a fish on. Mind you , he had his fair share of LDR's, but he knows where they are and how to get them on the hook. And, following his lead - and his sage advice - I ,too, soon had fish on! Here's my first bow of the day.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/IMGP2286.jpg

And my first brown of the day!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/IMGP2292.jpg

I have recently taken up the obsession of fly tying. On top of that, I've recently decided to devote an inordinate amount of my life to tying micro-midges! I'm nearly blind now, but, ****, I'm having a blast!! So, you can imagine what a thrill it was to catch my first brown on my first micro-midge... or maybe you can't. Here's a closeup of the midge that felled my first Caney brown.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/IMGP2293.jpg

That was a black thread, red wire midge with a black rabbit fur dubbed head tied on a size 30 Tiemco 2488 hook. That sucker absolutely slammed it and gave me fits trying to bulldog him to hand, since I had dropped the midge off a size 14 yellow stimulator using Seaguar 7x tippet. I couldn't believe I actually managed to land him!

We continued to brave the cold wind and waded our way back down to where we had parked, knowing that the water was about to come up any minute.

At David's suggestion, we drove back up to the dam and had a bite to eat before putting back in. He took me to a few of his favorite spots below the dam and it was like we had never stopped fishing! Here are a couple more fish from the afternoon, below the dam.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/EPSN2342.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/EPSN2344.jpg

I have to say again that David is an absolute fishing machine! And he loves every minute of it!! There weren't many other fishermen on the water yesterday... at least nothing like what I'm used to seeing at the South Holston. Nevertheless, I never once saw another fisherman with a fish on... the entire day :eek:. I mean, I wasn't catching them at nearly the rate that David was, but I between me and him I certainly didn't mind being second best. Literally, every time I looked, he had a fish on. At one point I asked him if he was keeping count or not and he said he'd lost count shortly after we had started out! And I believed him... I don't know how he could keep count!

As for the Caney??! I don't know why anyone even bothers to try and fish there. Obviously there are very few fish in that river... and David and I probably caught every one of them. In fact, I think that the published TWRA stocking schedule is something Scully and Mulder need to look into. But I do have to agree with David on one thing... what few fish you do find in the Caney fight harder than any fish on any tailwater I've fished. I still say that the wild trout in the park fight harder (pound for pound) than any fish out there, but these guys in the Caney are impressive!

All in all, A very nice birthday present! Thank you again, David, for your patience, guidance, and companionship. I will be back to fish the Caney, for sure!!

Gerry

ijsouth
11-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Pretty fish, and it's amazing how such large fish are taken on such tiny flies...whereas in the park, a lot of the time you're throwing relatively (compared to a #30) large flies for small fish. It's a real conundrum.

David Knapp
11-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Gerry, I'm glad you had a good time and we were able to find a few fish despite the cool temperature... My fingers finally thawed out but it took probably two or three hours before I felt completely warm again...:eek:

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and for coming over to fish the Caney. You're welcome back anytime, just give me a holler...:cool:

My report on Friday is now up on my blog (http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com/)...

nvr2L8
11-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Gerry,

A happy birthday to you, for sure. Looks like the birthday from heaven. Here's hoping for many more.:biggrin:

Grumpy
11-26-2007, 09:35 AM
I nearly swam myself to death trying to put those fish on your hook, do you know how hard it is to see those ultra mdges through a scuba mask & trying to adjust Hateyes under the water, nearly ran out of oxygen to, hmm, you say David was catching more, i thought i was putting them on your line:eek:
The Cabney does indeed make a great B-Day present:biggrin:

Grumpy

Leinart
11-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Congrats on the fish, too! I'm sparkle pupa green w/NV !

best ones!

dan

David Knapp
11-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I nearly swam myself to death trying to put those fish on your hook, do you know how hard it is to see those ultra mdges through a scuba mask & trying to adjust Hateyes under the water, nearly ran out of oxygen to, hmm, you say David was catching more, i thought i was putting them on your line:eek:
The Cabney does indeed make a great B-Day present:biggrin:

Grumpy

So you're the one that made the huge wake. Now I look silly, I told Gerry it was a monster brown...:biggrin: I do appreciate all the fish on my line even if you meant to put them on his...:rolleyes:

billyspey
11-26-2007, 06:42 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO GERRY!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAD A GREAT no better way to spend a birthday !!

ttas67
11-27-2007, 01:48 AM
happy birthday! I was supposed to go to the caney with you guys, but I figured I'd let ya'll catch fish without having to hear me whine about how cold it was.