PDA

View Full Version : Tellico River and Tributaries

andrewp
11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks to all for the advice on my previous post, but plans for this weekend have changed a bit. We've decided to head up to the Tellico and maybe give it a try, as well as the Bald and North Rivers. Does anyone have general advice as to some good spots to hit/flies to use? I understand that the Tellico is a delayed harvest river this time of year, but not sure about the Bald and North. Thanks again!

Scott H.
11-27-2007, 11:36 AM
I fished up there a couple weeks ago. Water was real real low, like everywhere. I did o.k. Caught a couple. Nothing to write home about.

p.m. me if you need any more info.

Scott

Stonefly
11-27-2007, 01:37 PM
The North and Bald are designated as Wild Trout streams, so they're not Delayed Harvest, not stocked.

sb

andrewp
11-27-2007, 05:13 PM
I appreciate the advice, Steve and Scott. I tried to send you a p.m, Scott, but I got a message that the function was disabled for some reason, so I couldn't do it. I figured the water would probably be low, but was maybe hoping for a little rain between now and this weekend. Prospects of that are not looking too good at this point, however. What flies were working for you when you were there? Were you on the Tellico, Bald, or North? Thanks again.

buzzmcmanus
11-27-2007, 05:42 PM
I fished the Tellico River just below North River a few weeks ago. Had a pretty good day. Most fish were caught on a size 18 pheasant tail dropped below an EHC. A few were caught on the EHC. I really don't know what I'm doing , I just like doing it. Sometimes I get lucky and catch something. I was up there hunting Thanksgiving Day. All the rivers were up from what they have been, however it was just after a heavy rain. I don't know what they were like after they recessed. Bald River Falls actually looked like a falls again and not the trickle that it was a few weeks ago.

PeteCz
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
I really don't know what I'm doing, I just like doing it.

Buzz that's a great line! I'm going to have to borrow that one from you. It applies to so many situations.

I think you have struck upon something though, as well. While there are tons of books on flyfishing and the proper techniques, methods, etc., in the end; if you enjoy what you are doing and seem to be catching fish, who cares if its the perfect cast or proper technique? I think sometimes people are so worried about doing things the "right" way, they never even try it "any" way...

Keep up the good work! Keep having fun!

As far as the Tellico is concerned, here is a site that tracks the flow data for the Tellico:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=31&site_no=03518500

Right now, it actually looks much better than it has for most of the year. The rain over the last week and a half has been a good start. Good Luck!

Scott H.
11-28-2007, 11:25 AM
The recent rain has probably helped the fishing.

When I was there, I caught some on a parachute adams and a few on small tellico nymph droppers.

Scott

andrewp
11-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks again for the advice guys, I really do appreciate it. I'm trying not to be too optimistic at this point, but it's good to know that some fish are being caught up there.

oody3wt
11-28-2007, 09:01 PM
On the tribs you can never go wrong with the PA in light colors 16-20 small droppers and small dark streamers olive/brown if theres enough water. If your on North start at campsite 4 and fish up into the gorge or directly above #9, this water is skinny but theres some surprisingly nice bows up there.

TGoodwin
11-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Andrew,

Stealth is likely going to be more important than fly selection up there, especially on the North and the Bald. Any of the dry/dropper combos mentioned by the other posters should produce fish as long as you stay low and wade carefully. I rarely find the wild trout in the North and Bald to be very selective, but they will spook easily in that low, clear water.

As for the DH on the Tellico, try swinging woolly buggers through pretty much any deep run or pool above Turkey Creek.

Hope this helps.

Ty

andrewp
11-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Hey guys, I am pretty new to fly fishing so bear with me if this is a completely dumb question: Can you effectively fish with streamers using a floating line, provided your leader is long enough to let it sink to where it needs to be?

ACinEastTN
11-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Sure you can. Granted you may not be able to fish extremely deep water, but most rivers and creek aren't that deep. Some carefully placed split shot is always an easy solution too.
-Aaron