PDA

View Full Version : Helios rods.

mtnman2888
11-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Anyone had a chance to cast these? I think byron mentioned them in a previous fishing report about how good they were. I'm not a big fan of orvis, but these rods just look incredible. I'm really tempted but i already have too many rods and that price tag will definitely induce some sticker shock. Just wondered if anyone on here had some experience with it. Thanks.

Craig

Grumpy
11-28-2007, 09:19 AM
go ahead & sell a few rods, the Helios will be my go to rod if they ever get a 4 weight to me, the T3 & Zero G will probably start collecting dust:cool:
The first thing everyone comments on, WEIGHT, or lack thereof & they cast with ease, track well & i haven't felt any rod jump with any that i've tried.
Did i mention the 8'4 3 weight, it would probably doube nicely as a small stream & tailwater rod, thank goodness i have a corner full of small stream rods or i'd be wanting it as well. Then there's the 8 weight that took all the fly line & a significant amount of backing with just a lil dbl haul & that was with me casting it:eek: The 9 & 10 weights will pick 70-80 foot of line up & put it right back wherever you want it & they feel like a lot of folks 5 & 6 weights.
Yeh, every now & then Orvis does something right with a rod, they've really improved over the last 10 years IMO, not that they had some bad ones in the past(they did IMO), yep, i'll be glad when that 4 weight shows up:biggrin:

Grumpy

mtnman2888
11-28-2007, 10:20 AM
That's what i was looking at, the 9' 4wt. I really don't need another rod, but i do have a nice little gap in my collection of a long 4wt....... Since you've played around with it, in your opinion, is it worthy of all the hype that it has been getting?

Craig

Grumpy
11-28-2007, 10:48 AM
YES, it kills me that i'm willing to fork out the bucks like that for a graphite rod, bamboo, i can justify, but plastic:eek:
I bought one of the Powell Tiborons years ago, i think it originally sold for $725, yep, i've gotten that much use out of it & don't regret the purchase, i'll regret it if it ever breaks, they changed them since then & i think they cut the price in half.
Heck, i spend roughly $400 a month driving back/forth to work, the only thing showing is lot's of miles on the odometer:mad:
$755 is a big chunk of change, the memories it will bring are priceless:biggrin: I don't go out buying the latest & greatest every year like the manufacturers would hope, when i find something i like, somehow or another, i'm gonna have it, that usually results in missing lunch & losing a few pounds to do so:redface:
Orvis has already said i may not see the rod til after the first of the year, i'll probably be a few pounds lighter by then:cool:
It seems as if Orvis has done their homework on these rods, there were 6 of us casting them the day the rep showed up, everyone of us left shaking our heads, that may have been partly due to the cost, to me, it was the rod, trying to figure out how i'm going to sneak it into the house:eek: that carbon fiber rod tube sticks out like a sore thumb:redface:

Grumpy

Byron Begley
11-28-2007, 06:42 PM
I agree with everything Grumpy says except I've never known him to be Grumpy. We have some of these new rods in the shop and they are sweet. Orvis has hit a home run. We've already sold one for sure and maybe two of them, I'm not positive. Dealers could only get a limited selection for the Fall with the others coming in January and February. They will sell well at that price. I know that's hard to believe.

Byron

Rockyraccoon
11-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Good golly I wish you guys would just shut up! ;)

Comments like "better than the T3 and ZeroG"

"Casts into the backing with just a lil double haul"

and

"we've only got a few of them and might not be more until spring"

are all comments that don't work well for my marriage, or my winter time guide income!

Man! I want one....or two. Actually I want an 8wt and a 5wt. Maybe Santa is listening. ahhhhh........

mtnman2888
11-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Do you know when you will be getting in the 9' 4wt rods? The very beginning of january or the latter part? That one is calling my name big time.

Craig

Grumpy
11-29-2007, 09:16 AM
are all comments that don't work well for my marriage, or my winter time guide income!

Prices like that don't work well anytime of year on a guide's income:biggrin: like Byron, folks will buy them, they're sending out the limited edition series, might oughta contact Byron & see what cool #'s he's getting, if it's your lucky #, it's meant to be;)
Rocky, i've talked to a few folks that's had a blast with ya on the Cumbie!

Grumpy

D-Drake
11-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Craig,

I just called Orvis....and to my suprise...they said that they have the 9' 4wt available.

I've gotten to cast the 8'6" 3wt, 4wt, and 5wt, the 9' 5wt, the 9' 8wt, 9wt, and 10wt. They are ALL incredible casting rods. Very light, pretty fast, but not broomsticky. They are also great looking rods.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17974&cat=0&page=1

If you want one just let me know!

Thanks!

Daniel

ccmmcc
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
What is the action like on the Helios 9' 4 weight? How does it compare to the action on the Scott G series, Sage Light Line, Sage SP. How about the Winston LT? Is it more of a medium action or fast action?

D-Drake
11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Chris,

I didn't get to cast the 9' 4wt. It is a Mid Flex but I'm guessing it is more of a medium/fast.

You would probably love the new Sage ZXL 9' 4wt. We've got one of those here at the shop. It is a very smooth rod with a moderate action.

Daniel

mtnman2888
11-29-2007, 02:09 PM
They are already available? Man the pressure is on now, i at least figured i had a month or so to decide if i really wanted it, now it's crunch time! I don't really need another rod but that thing looks so incredible. Decisions, decisions.......

Craig

lauxier
11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
I am not much of a Orvis fan..their super fine rods are nice...Greg,a local fisherman,says he is going to buy a Helios,he casted one while in Louisville the other day,says they are the best Orvis yet,super light,with a Winston-like action.I won't be getting one,cause if I did there would be divorce lawyers thick as jack rabbits in the front yard.

jeffnles1
11-29-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't really need another rod but that thing looks so incredible. Decisions, decisions

Need? None of us probably needs another rod. We're talking heavy duty want here. For fishermen (and guitar players and shooters) wants hold a far stronger pull on our wallets than simple needs.

Jeff

Byron Begley
11-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Craig,

Your new rod is on the way and the Sharkskin is too. Thank you so much. Say Hi to the family. Enjoy your new Helios you lucky guy.

Byron

mtnman2888
11-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah i couldn't take it i just had to do it. I'm amassing quite the collection, who knows how many rods i'll have by the time i'm 30. Thanks for all your help.

Craig

jeffnles1
11-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah i couldn't take it i just had to do it. I'm amassing quite the collection, who knows how many rods i'll have by the time i'm 30. Thanks for all your help.

Craig

Craig,
you dawg. Please give a full report. For the time being, I'll have to live through your experience with this new rod.

Jeff

David Knapp
11-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Yeah i couldn't take it i just had to do it. I'm amassing quite the collection, who knows how many rods i'll have by the time i'm 30.

When you get too many to keep track of, feel free to send me the extras...:rolleyes: :biggrin:

Congrats on the new rod!!!

mtnman2888
11-30-2007, 05:45 AM
I'll make sure and post my impressions of it when i get it. Unfortunately, i won't be able to fully try it out on the water until after christmas, but you can bet i'll be out in the yard putting it through it's paces. I'm going to be bouncing around like a little kid in anticipation of it all weekend until it get's here........

Merry Christmas to me!!!!!

Craig

Grumpy
11-30-2007, 08:19 AM
The race is on, i was told i'd have one on the way as well, maybe we oughta meet somewhere & ring those things out. I hope a TT works well on it being i have a few of those, Sharkskin huh:eek:
For a few extra bucks, went ahead & got mine personalized:cool:

Grumpy

mtnman2888
11-30-2007, 10:18 AM
You got one too, huh? Which one called your name? I'm looking forward to stringing it up with the sharkskin and trying it out, should be good. That baby is going to get broke in real nice over christmas!

Craig

Grumpy
12-01-2007, 09:07 AM
I went with the 904, i fooled around & sold a lot of rods awhile back, realized i had sold everyone of my 4 weight tailwater rods:frown:
A friend of mine ordered the 3 weight, i hope i don't like it after getting the 4:rolleyes:

Grumpy

mtnman2888
12-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Well congrats on the rod. I'm sure that if you are like you're hoping to get the rod in as soon as possible so you can stare and gawk at it. That is one impressive looking rod! I can't wait to try it out on the water here in a few weeks. I'm interested to see what some of the other larger rod companies (i.e. sage, winston) are going to come up with to combat this rod. They can't be too happy with all the press that this rod is getting, heck i haven't even heard anything about any other rods. I heard alot about the sage z-axis but since this thing come out you would have thought they stopped making that rod.

Craig

Grumpy
12-02-2007, 09:41 AM
I like fast action rods with a good tip, both the T3 & Zero Gravity 5 weights that i fish have that, the T3 especially, the old Scott S3's were the same, never have been a Sage fan, other than the older SP.
Winston is coming out with the new BIIX/MX which is supposed to be there answer to us fast action "nuts", the problem with it is, a 5 weight is there smallest offering.
The BIIX is a sweet fishing rod, it dosen't have enough tip for me though. Although the new Helios is rated a 8.5 mid-flex in the 4 weight, i could feel more power in the tip, a little more stifness than the average mid=flex, that comes in handy punching nymphs/indicators on tailwaters in the wind, at least for my casting stroke.
Yep, i'll be a happy camper when it get's here, can't wait to read about your impressions/thoughts on the rod & that Sharkskin.

Grumpy

mtnman2888
12-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I have a 3wt bIIx and i love it, really does everything it's intended for very well and even some things it's not intended for. I'm thinking this will be my go to tailwater rod from now on, although i don't really fish tailwaters that much. I also think it will be a really good all around rod for the larger streams in the smokies. Man i can't wait to play around with it!

Craig

mtnman2888
12-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Well i just got my rod in last night and although i haven't gotten a chance to string it up and play with it (i'm busy packing and getting ready for a trip out to ocracoke on the outer banks to fish for some drum and hopefully some stripers!) i at least took it out and gawked at it for a little while.

The first thing you notice is the aesthetics of not only the rod, but even the rod tube! The tube looks immediately caught my eye in all it's carbon fiber glory. Upon taking the rod out and putting it together, just like the rod tube, the rod just looks plain amazing. I played around with it for just a second and the weight, much like orvis claims, is nothing less than phenomenal. It's hard to even feel like you're holding anything at all in your hand. This rod will definitely make for some effortless casts. Even with the rod being so light, it definitely felt like it would pick up alot of line off the water effortlessly for the longer casts. It looks like the first chance i will have to use the rod will be on the soho the sunday before christmas, so i'll make sure and give some impressions upon my return. I definitely feel like this will be a perfect rod for tailwaters and larger streams, though.

I was going to take some pictures of it and put it up here but didn't have time. When i return i might do that. Thanks again LRO for calling and checking on that rod. I wasn't planning on having it until next year but now i get to use it over christmas, thanks!

Craig

Hugh Hartsell
12-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Craig,
I hope that you have a great trip out to the Outter Banks, but do hurry and get back safely. I'm going to help you break that new Helios Rod in properly on the South Holston. Eat your heart out, Grumpy!
Hugh

Grumpy
12-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Congrat's, being i haven't gotten mine, would you mind sending your's my way & i'll see how it fishes:biggrin:

Grumpy

mtnman2888
12-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah i hope to give that rod a nice work out on the south holston in a few weeks. After playing with the rod a little bit last night, it really feels like it'll make those nice long casts that are required at the south holston feel effortless. It's killing me knowing i can't fish with it for a few weeks, but i guess i can take it. The only thing keeping me going is the fact that, hopefully, i'll be giving it an extensive 8 day workout over christmas!!

Craig

Grumpy
12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
YEA, mine came in this morning, cast great out in the parking lot, Christening come Sunday:biggrin:

Grumpy