PDA

View Full Version : Elk/Duck River

irfishing
11-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Wondering what is the status of fishing either the Elk or Duck river.

Are the still surge releasing water from Tims Ford. If so, is it on any kind of a regular schedule?

monktrout
11-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Fished the Elk last week. Fishing was good. Plenty of fish taking midge paterns,etc. Have not heard about a surge on the Elk. I would be curious to hear if TVA is having an unscheduled release. I hope to fish on Friday and don't wish to be swept away.

Grumpy
11-30-2007, 08:22 AM
I've heard a few folks mention a 1 hour release on the Elk, that's about all i know.
The Duck isn't scheduled to be stocked until January.............

Grumpy

Deedub
11-30-2007, 03:14 PM
I was reading a report from the flyshop in the Lynchberg area (Tim's Flies and Lies) and he said the Duck had been stocked already...but it was fishing slow. The report was from yesterday.

TWRA seems to be a little unclear on their website as to when exactly the Normandy Dam Tailwater gets stocked, but I found one chart that listed they started stocking there in November...

Either way...it may be a while before that tailwater "heats up" for trout fishing.

I fished there a lot last winter and it seemed to be hit or miss...although when it had enough flow and it wasn't too crowded, it's a fun river to fish.
I did really well on olive buggers and BH nymphs. It seemed to be, once you found the right little run or pool...you had a fish on ever other cast.

Good luck out there...I haven't wet a line in a long time...we just had our first...a boy...and the fishing has had to take a back seat...as it should.

monktrout
11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Fished Elk this afternoon. Lots of fish rising to midges. Size 20 white midge. Small BHPT also works. Caught one nice fish on a BH black leech. Another guy caught a good brown on bead hares ear. Good luck.

irfishing
11-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Good information.
Think I will try the Elk tomorrow. Probably wade in the area between the dam and the first turn.
Will be alert to the possibility of water release.