PDA

View Full Version : Hiwassee

flyfishsim
11-29-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm going to be in the Cleveland area next week on business. I have Tuesday afternoon open to fish, thinking about heading up to the Hiwassee. Anybody fished it lately. Does anyone have any suggestions on flys. Thanks!

Rockyraccoon
11-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Small is the name of the game right now.

Little baetis. Dries,nymphs, and softies in the 18 -24 range should do the trick.

Fine tippets won't hurt either.....6x is the biggest I'd go.

DALEFISH
11-30-2007, 03:38 PM
we fished there from friday till tuesday,didnt really tear them up but caught enough to stay heppy.had best luck on leech patterns,orange soft hackle,and copper johns.seemed they wanted them fished emerger style.after they run water,the fish start to really key in on small mayflys(tricos maybe)they wouldnt hardly anything else.good luck and tell us how you did
dalefish

Rockyraccoon
11-30-2007, 04:22 PM
the fish start to really key in on small mayflys(tricos maybe)they wouldnt hardly anything else.

Those are the little baetis.

castleft
11-30-2007, 11:40 PM
I have been fishing last 3 week ends on upper river. BWO 20 and 18 Phesant tail is all I have used and been successful. Light and long leader is the key. What part of river do you plan on fishing (upper or Lower). Lower river has been stocked but hard to get to. Still plenty from reliance up.

flyfishsim
12-01-2007, 06:13 PM
upper river
thinks for the help

castleft
12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Fished Hiwassee today.I thought it would be a good day but kind of Slow. (upper River) Still caught 7 stockers 4 were browns. Used a BWO 18 emerger and BWO parachute. Need to look at release schedule and after turn off give it about hour for water to level off. They seem to hit better then. I fished lower river Picnic area down and only landed one